Zubaan Publishers Pvt. Ltd and the Sasakawa Peace Foundation are offering a number of research grants for the year 2018 for young researchers from the eight northeastern states. The grants provide a small fund to prepare research papers/essays/oral history set against the broad framework of women’s multiple histories and focuses on the issue of gender in the Northeast.
The idea behind the grant is to provide financial and academic support to young researchers who may wish to look into particular aspects of the history, politics, culture of the northeastern states in relation to women and gender.
The papers will be written in English. All papers written with the support of the grant will be published electronically by Zubaan on various digital platforms and made widely available.
The papers may be academic research papers, long-form journalistic essays or long interviews on a particular subject to do with gender. Hybrid or creative forms are welcome.\
The fellowship carries a grant of Rs 35,000 less applicable taxes.
- You must be from Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura, and less than 40 years of age.
- You must be fluent in reading and writing English.
- You must commit to researching and writing a 10,000 word (minimum) essay. The grant also allows for you to develop graphic narratives, or do extended interviews, or produce creative works such as a story, in lieu of the essay, all within a specified timeline.
The first draft of the selected papers is expected in four months after the methodology workshop, details of which are mentioned in the attachment. Papers may need to be revised after the first draft depending on the feedback. Depending on the feedback, a month may be given for the required revisions.
How to apply
Interested persons should send their application, including the following documents, to email@example.com:
- A grant proposal (maximum two pages) which clearly describes what you wish to do, what sources you will tap (primary and secondary), the subject of your research and a timeline.
- A sample of previous work that can be written material of roughly 500 words, a two-page spread of a graphic story, or an transcript extract from an interview you have conducted.
- Your CV and any other relevant information about yourself that you think is necessary, including proof of age.
- Two names of referees, ideally people you have worked with.
The last date for submission is May 15.
Click here for details and here for official website.