With the vision of “Making Discoveries for Humanity and Society,” the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) was founded in 2011 by the Korean government to promote basic sciences in Korea. Thirty Research Centers have been launched and each Center has been yielding outstanding results in various fields of research.
The IBS “Young Scientist Fellowship” started in 2016 to play an active role in fostering next-generation basic science leaders. We believe this fellowship offers opportunities to conduct independent research by utilizing state-of-art infrastructures and to grow on the basis of research collaborations with leading researchers.
We hope that the YS Fellowship serves as a stepping stone for our research fellows to be appointed as independent principal investigators at the prestige institutions worldwide.
- Within 5 years of obtaining a PhD or under the age of 40 with a PhD (born no earlier than January 1, 1979)
- Ph.D. candidates must be conferred with Ph.D. degrees before August 31, 2019
- Researchers currently participating in the IBS research centers are NOT eligible to apply
Benefits and Conditions
- Annual budget of KRW150-300M per year including KRW60-70M salary
- Appointment for 3 years with possible extension of 2 years based on the results of interim review (Full-time work and 100% research participation).
- After physically relocated to one of the IBS Centers, YSF conducts independent research by utilizing research facility and equipment of the Center (Can organize small research group).
Apply via homepage no later than May 31, 2019 (KST).
For any queries, contact
Research Evaluation Team