Applications are now open for the Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) Writing Fellowship 2021.
JIAS Writing Fellows enjoy a quiet space for work, reflection, and academic community-building amidst the Melville Koppies of Johannesburg. The Sixth Writing Semester will run from February 1 to May 31, 2021.
The Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) is an institute based at the University of Johannesburg, South Africa. Although only launched in May 2015 as the first fully-fledged institute for advanced learning in Gauteng, South Africa’s economic and political heartland, JIAS has grown to be one of the leading institutes of its kind based in the African continent. Its purpose is to promote advanced research in the humanities and natural sciences, beyond the regular teaching and research activities at institutions of higher learning.
Each Writing Fellow will receive:
- Accommodation in our private residential suites at JIAS;
- Daily breakfast and lunch;
- Access to the facilities of the nearby University of Johannesburg; AND
- A monthly stipend will be taxable.
- The Writing Fellowships are open to any field of expertise.
- Previous fellows have included academics, novelists, scientists, poets, playwrights, independent researchers, and journalists.
- Please note that if successful, we urge that you keep your scholarly commitments outside of JIAS to a minimum.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply by submitting a two-page proposal, a comprehensive CV, and referees should submit three letters of reference directly to firstname.lastname@example.org before 15 July 2020. Please note that reference letters should not be submitted by applicants themselves and incomplete applications will not be considered.
To apply online, click here.
Phone Number: +27115597530
For further details, click here.