Applications are open for the World Ocean Initiative (WOI) Ocean Changemakers Challenge 2021.
About the Challenge
The Economist Group’s World Ocean Initiative has launched the Ocean Changemakers Challenge, a competition open to men and women that aims to showcase leading changemakers working to develop business solutions to ocean-related sustainability challenges. It is aimed at early-career researchers or professionals.
Three finalists will be invited to present their business idea and vision for a blue economy during a special ocean changemakers session at the World Ocean Summit Virtual Week in March 2021. By “blue economy” we mean a sustainable ocean economy that harnesses marine ocean resources for long-term economic development and social prosperity while protecting the environment in perpetuity.
To help bring the changemakers’ ideas to life, they will receive guidance from renowned ocean leaders as part of a 12-month mentorship programme that will begin shortly before the summit.
- Angelique Braithwaite, co-founder and director, wider Caribbean, Blue Finance
- Kendra MacDonald, chief executive officer, Canada’s Ocean Supercluster
- Researchers, early-career professionals, entrepreneurs and innovators with solutions to tackle some of the ocean’s greatest challenges, including for example marine pollution, overfishing and overexploitation of marine resources, unsustainable aquaculture, marine engineering and oil drilling, and destruction of ocean habitats.
- Individuals who have been recognised by local communities but not yet by the international ocean community.
- Individuals who are driving change locally and have innovative solutions we could learn from to scale ocean solutions rapidly.
A panel of judges from the World Ocean Initiative will review the videos and select a shortlist of 12 entrants. The videos of the shortlisted applicants will be posted on the World Ocean Initiative website and social media channels (#OceanChangemakers). Applicants will be judged according to how well their ideas meet the following criteria:
- Impact on blue economy: clear link with sustainable development of the ocean
- Innovative: original idea—or clear improvement on existing idea—focused on progress
- Viable: should be feasible in the medium to long-term
- Scalable: can be scaled up and applied in different contexts
- Investable: offers opportunities for growth
How to Register?
Interested participants can register for the challenge through this link.
Feb 5, 2021
For more details, click the link below.