Entries are now invited for the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Calendar Competition 2021. The organization is really looking forward to high-quality and artistic photographs, and especially those which illustrate the theme of World Meteorological Day 2021, “The Ocean, our climate and weather.”
Since it was launched in 2014, the WMO calendar competition has gained in stature and recognition. The United Nations regularly features our photos. Some National Meteorological and Hydrological Services also run their own photo contests and feed these entries to WMO.
Winning entries will feature in the WMO 2021 online calendar. They will be showcased on the WMO website and social media platforms and feature prominently in our World Meteorological Day 2021 celebrations. They will also promote them among other U.N. agencies and showcase them during the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development to be held from 2021-2030
- The Contest is open to all individuals and groups, regardless of age or location. Employees of the WMO Secretariat are prohibited from Contest entry.
- Entrants under 18 years of age may participate with the permission of their parents or legal guardians. If the photo of an entrant under 18 years of age is chosen and written parental or guardian permission cannot be provided, the WMO has the right to reject the entry.
- Entrants are required to obtain permission from all persons appearing in the photo.
- The use of copyrighted materials is prohibited unless the entrant has written permission to use such materials.
- All photos must be a minimum size of 4000×3000 pixels.
- All photos must be submitted in JPEG or TIFF format (with little compression to preserve image quality.
- All photos must be in landscape (horizontal) format.
- Black and white photographs as well as colored photographs will be accepted.
- All photos must be clearly captioned, including a title, a location, and the date of the photograph.
Entries will be narrowed down to a shortlist by a WMO panel of experts in meteorology and oceanography as well as experienced professional photographers. Entries will be judged on:
- Technical quality, clarity, and composition
- Visual impact
- Novelty and flair for the unexpected
Call for Entries
Take a striking photo that is related to the Ocean, the weather and climate and meets our submission guidelines. Photographers may submit multiple entries, but only one photo can be included in the final calendar. If you share your photos on your own social media profiles, use the #WMOphoto hashtag.
To submit your entries online, click here. The last date to submit is September 15, 2020.
For full notification, click the link below.