World Bank/Financial Times’ Blog/Essay Writing Contest 2020 for High School Students [16-19 Years]: Submit by Feb 10
About the Contest
The World Bank Group and the Financial Times are organizing the second joint global blog/essay writing competition. This competition builds on the World Bank Group’s Human Capital Project and its Report on Ending Learning Poverty.
Entries are invited for the Blog/Essay Writing Competition Spring 2020 from High School Students. They are looking for your most inventive ideas, high-quality writing, and innovative solutions to help more children learn to read.
All children should be able to read by 10 – this is critical for anyone to be able to fully participate in society. Around the world, reading has been at the core of formal education for centuries. Being able to read is fundamental for children to be able to learn other subjects like science and history. It also creates opportunities and opens more doors for them as they get older.
The children need to explain in their own words what they think can be done differently to help children read by the age of 10.
It can be done by answering one of these two questions:
- What could teachers and schools do differently to help all children learn to read?
- If you were the education minister of your country what would you do to make sure every 10-year old is able to read?
- Participants must be enrolled in high school or a version of secondary education and should be between the ages of 16-19 years.
- Entries are only to be submitted in English.
- There is no fee payable to enter the competition.
- Entries should be the work of the submitter and cannot be collaborative or written by a proxy.
- Entries should be original content and cannot have been previously published or lifted from other sources. By submitting an entry, entrants grant to The World Bank Group and The Financial Times Limited (“FT”) a worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to copy, edit, publish and use the entry, in whole or in part, and in any way, including for publishing on the World Bank Group’s blog platform and, at the FT’s sole discretion, on ft.com, without compensation to the entrant. Rights to edit copy where the publishers deem necessary is reserved although entrants will be fully credited.
The winning entry will be published in the Financial Times (at its sole discretion), the World Bank Group blog, and the winner will be brought with reasonable expenses covered to the World Bank Group Spring Meetings in Washington D.C. in April 2020, provided he/she is able to travel and assumes responsibility for obtaining a visa to the United States. Winners below 18 years will need a guardian’s permission to travel.
How to Submit?
Submissions should include:
- A strong blog or essay, that is no longer than 500 words.
- Photos, videos, visualizations that help support your story, are optional.
- Your name, age, school, email, and country you live in.
The submission link is available here.
Feb 10, 2020
For more details, click here.
About the Author