About the Workshop
Statistical data analysis and handing of errors are integral parts of research in any areas of Science and Engineering. This course is not formally taught in any university, but everybody needs it at a later part of academic career. The proposed course will be of practical use to anyone in research and teaching. In particular, it will benefit the teachers maximally, as they deal with laboratory courses at all levels. It is a need for researchers in their everyday life.
Module I: Statistical Distributions: Discrete and Continuous statistical distributions and applications in Science and Engineer
- Module II: Data Reduction and Error Analysis: Central limit theorem, rejection of data, weighted averages, combination of errors, propagation of errors, statistical and systematic errors, how to report and use uncertainties, statistical distribution of random uncertainties
- Module III: Estimation and Least Squares: Properties of estimators, basic estimators, maximum likelihood, method of moments, least squares, the straight line fit, fitting binned data, chi square distribution and errors, linear least squares and matrices, non-linear least squares, kinematic fitting. Covariance and Correlations
- Module IV: Probability and Confidence: Probability and confidence levels, student’s t-distribution
- Module V: Taking Decisions: Hypothesis Testing, interpreting experiments, goodness of fit, the two samples problem, analysis methods for several samples
- Module VI: Monte Carlo Methods: Random number generation, Markov chain, applications of Monte Carlo calculations in various physical systems.
This course is tailor-made for the faculty members and researchers from all the disciplines of Science, Engineering and R&D industries. The course will enhance the understanding of basic concepts of distribution functions used to perform data analysis, theoretical model building, handling of errors in experimental data, test of hypothesis etc.
- There is no fee for participants (faculty members) from AICTE sponsored colleges. The nominations along with the registration forms must be sent through their coordinator/head to the address as given in the application form. Email confirmation in advance is suggested.
- Non-AICTE Colleges: ₹ 3000/- per faculty/researcher.
- For industry participants: ₹ 5000/- per participant
Dr. Raghunath Sahoo
Phone: +91 6264818486