The Centre for Rural Technology, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati is organizing an Online Workshop on Role of Science & Technology in Climate Smart Agriculture and Rural Development from December 7 to 9, 2020.
IIT Guwahati campus is spread over a sprawling 785 hectares plot of green land on the north bank of the river Brahmaputra around 25 km from the heart of the city. It’s geographically located at 26.2ᵒ North latitude, 91.7ᵒ East longitude, and an average elevation of 49 m. With hills and vast open spaces, the campus provides an ideal setting for the training programs.
This three-day workshop will allow the participants to get exposed to various aspects of technological interventions for developing climate-smart agriculture (CSA) and the rural ecosystem. These technologies cover wide areas of rural mechanization, natural resources management, agricultural engineering, biotechnology, sanitation, etc. which are relevant for overall sustainable rural development.
- Day 1 of the workshop would broadly present the scientific basis of climate change and its impact on agriculture and the overall rural sector and it will cover various aspects of the roles of science and technology in facilitating CSA and rural development in India.
- Day 2 will be dedicated to various technologies namely Remote Sensing and GIS, biosciences and engineering, and social tools (PRA/ RRA) applications to understand climate change and its associated impacts.
- Day 3 will deal with energy management in rural areas, the application of green biotechnology for an increase in agricultural productivity and sustainability, policy tools, advocacy, and governance.
The workshop is designed to help the participants to understand the application and importance of science and technology (S & T) interventions to mitigate challenges under changing climate, especially in rural areas. The participants will be aware of the concept of climate-smart agriculture (CSA) and the roles of S &T in mitigating the impacts of climate change.
- State-of-the-art knowledge dissemination on climate change and its impact on agriculture and rural development.
- Making the participants aware of the roles of S&T for facilitating the Climate Smart Agriculture and Rural Development.
- Identify challenges faced by individual researchers working on rural technologies especially in TEQIP III focus areas.
- Identify ways to support the work of the faculties and young researchers from the target areas.
- Creating possibilities for new collaborations.
Who can Attend?
The workshop/ event is open to faculty members and research scholars from all TEQIP mapped institutions/ Engineering Colleges/ ATUs and non-TEQIP mapped institutions.
No course fee is charged for candidates who belong to TEQIP mapped institutions/ Engineering colleges/ ATUs. Participants from Industry, Government organizations, and Non-TEQIP mapped institutions are eligible, provided they pay the course fee of Rs. 5000/- for faculty members and Rs. 3000/- for Research Scholars and Postdoctoral Researchers respectively.
Selection will be based on First cum first-served basis and subject to the deposition of a refundable fee (Rs 1000.00) in the form of demand draft in favor of Registrar, IIT Guwahati, Guwahati, Assam 781039.
To download the registration form, click here. The duly sponsored/ nominated application form should be mailed to email@example.com.
The last date to register is November 30, 2020.
Dr. Sudip Mitra
Centre for Rural Technology
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
North Guwahati, Kamrup District, Assam
Ph. No. +913612583800 (O); +918486066392 (M)
For full notification, click the link below.