About the Organiser
The Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy, also known as SASTRA, is a Deemed-to-be university in the town of Thirumalaisamudram, Thanjavur district, Tamil Nadu, India. ASTRA is ranked by global ranking agencies such as Times Higher Education, QS and is also recognised as a Category 1 university by the University Grants Commission. It offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses in Engineering, Science, Education, Management, Law and the Arts.
About the Workshop
Workshop on Microbial Biofilms (WoMB) is conducted as a part of the Scientific Social Responsibility (SSR) policy of the Core Research Grant (CRG) sponsored by Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Dept. of Science & Technology, Govt. of India.
Biofilm is the predominant lifestyle of microbes in their natural settings, where the cells form aggregates encased in a polymeric matrix. Biofilm bacteria form a robust structure and display resilience to environmental stress. Particularly important is the antibiotic tolerance of medical biogilms. Around 80% of chronic infections are caused by biofilm bacteria and thus is of main concern.
- Talk by experts
- Hands-on session on analyzing biofilms
- Discussion on effective pedagogy for microbiology
Who can Attend?
The workshop is targeted towards college faculty members teaching biology, particularly Microbiology. Participants of this workshop will learn:
- Biofilm basics
- Biofilm analysis
- Biofilm research
How to Register?
- The registration for the workshop is free.
- The number of participants is limited to 25.
- Interested participants can send the registration form available here to srinandan[at]scbt.sastra.edu by Nov 16, 2019.
- Selection of participants will be informed via email by Nov 24, 2019.
Nov 16, 2019
Coordinator: Dr C. S. Srinandan