About the Organiser
Assam University is a teaching-cum-affiliating Central University in Silchar, Assam, India. The university has sixteen schools which offer Humanities, Languages, Environmental Sciences, Information Sciences, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Social Sciences, Law, Technology and Management Studies. There are 42 departments under these sixteen schools. The five districts under the jurisdiction of Assam University have 56 undergraduate colleges. Assam University is an institutional signatory to the Global Universities Network for Innovation (GUNI), Barcelona and United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) for its commitment to educational social responsibilities.
About the Workshop
The workshop aims to orient Faculty members, Researchers and PG Students in Statistics in Bayesian Data Analysis from beginners to advanced level. The prime concern of this workshop is to showcase the participants the process of analysis of data in R with basic focus on Bayesian data analysis. Starting from medium level to some of the advanced statistical techniques both through R programming and R-commands shall be on display in the workshop especially those related to Bayesian Data Analysis.
All the participants are advised to attend the workshop with their laptops with R loaded in it as there shall be several hands-on training sessions.
Objectives of the Workshop
The program shall be operated through some advantages of Bayesian Data Analysis over the traditional tools of analyzing data. As the applicants are expected to have some theoretical background in Statistics so the main focus of the workshop shall be on some theoretical discussions on Bayesian Inference but mostly on hands-on training in Bayesian Data Analysis in R.
- Conditional probability and Bayes’ Original Formula
- From Bayes’ Original Formula to Classical Bayesian Approach in Statistics
- Posterior Distribution and Various forms of Bayes’ Rules (with or without a Loss Function)
- Role of the Prior Distribution
- Informative Prior and Non-informative Prior, Non-informative priors for location and Scale Parameters
- Jeffrey’s Prior Distribution (both Uni-Parameter and Multi-Parameter cases)
- The Concept of Empirical Bayes Set-up
- Method of Bayesian Prediction
- Overview of Robustness in Bayesian Inference
Who can Attend?
Registered/enrolled PhD students, faculty members of any recognized university/institute of India and abroad or researcher who is in need of learning Bayesian Data Analysis can apply in the training program by filling up the prescribed registration form and paying appropriate fees.
How to Apply
An applicant can send a scanned copy of the filled application form available here to the Coordinator of the workshop by email to djb.stat[at]gmail.com latest by 10.09.2019 along with requisite fees.
The registration fee for the participants is as follows:
- For Faculty Members working in Universities, Colleges, Research institutes and for employed Researchers/employed Research Scholars: Rs. 1000/-
- For unemployed full time/part-time research scholars: Rs. 700/-
- For PG Students: Rs. 300/-
- Last date of Submission of Application Form and Fees: Sep 10, 2019
- Notification of Selection: On or before Sep 12, 2019
Seminar Hall, Department of Statistics, Assam University
Co-ordinator: Dr Dibyojyoti Bhattacharjee