About the Organiser
The Online News Association is the world’s largest digital journalism association. Membership includes journalists, technologists, executives, students, educators and other digital media professionals. ONA’s mission is to inspire and support innovation and excellence in digital journalism.
About the Program
The Women’s Leadership Accelerator is a yearlong intensive program that supercharges the leadership and management skills of women who are pushing digital innovation. Each year we welcome a cohort of women representing a range of backgrounds, expertise and newsrooms around the globe.
The Women’s Leadership Accelerator kicks off at the University of California Los Angeles with an intensive week of mentoring, discussion and learning from some of the top minds in digital media. Participants work closely with mentors on challenges unique to their careers and also receive support and coaching from ONA throughout the year.
The Women’s Leadership Accelerator provides:
- A week of hands-on personal and professional work; candid discussions about leadership, work-life balance and problem-solving in the newsroom; deep dives on developing leadership and management skills; inspiring visits to digital media organizations; and one-on-one mentoring from industry leaders.
- A year of check-ins and practical, targeted guidance and personal coaching on individual challenges.
- Registration, travel and accommodations for the 2020 Online News Association Conference (ONA20) in Atlanta.
- A half-day workshop for women in the program during ONA20.
- The opportunity to be a part of a cohort of peers to serve as a strong career-long support system.
Opportunities for the community
Outside the cohort, ONA shares the lessons from the Women’s Leadership Accelerator through other programming and events, including collaboration with ONA Local, ONA’s annual conference and training in partnership with other organizations.
In addition, you can connect with alumnae of the Women’s Leadership Accelerator through free one-on-one coaching on digitalwomenleaders.com. Over 60 women, including ONA Director of Programs Jennifer Mizgata, offer free coaching sessions to support other women in digital journalism with leadership and management tips, career advice and feedback on their work.
The application has five parts and is due by Oct. 31, 2019. Applications and all submitted materials must be in English. Any links you provide as part of the application must be public, with no password required. Based on feedback from past applicants, we highly encourage you to start by seeking your letter of recommendation. The coordination required to get a letter often takes time and relies on others to adapt to your schedule. Waiting to start this step has caused many applicants to miss the deadline.
- Section 1: Your bio
- Section 2: Your personal details
- Section 3: Your challenge
- Section 4: A digital project
- Section 5: Testimonial / letter of recommendation
For further details regarding requirements, click here.
How to Apply?
Interested applicant can apply for the program through this link.
- Oct. 2, 2019: Applications open
- Oct. 31, 2019: Applications close
- January 2020: Cohort announced
- March 1-6, 2020: Accelerator at the University of California Los Angeles
- Oct. 3, 2020: Final workshop at ONA20 annual conference in Atlanta