The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), New Delhi is organizing a Webinar on Climate Services for Regional Policy Planning on October 15, 2020, from 3 pm onwards.
The Energy and Resources Institute is a research institute in New Delhi that specializes in the fields of energy, environment, and sustainable development. Established in 1974, it was formerly known as the Tata Energy Research Institute.
TERI in collaboration with the Norwegian Embassy developed the following two climate service products under phase 2 of the ongoing Norwegian Framework Agreement.
The first product is a climate atlas in the form of a web portal called ‘TERI Climate Tool’ or TCT which provides development practitioners a resource to explore and learn about changing regional climate profiles of past and future and incorporates the same in assessing the vulnerabilities and risks at multiple levels of detail. The second is a Flood Early Warning System for predicting urban floods for Jorhat city (FEWS-J).
These tools fill the current gap between climate information services and demands in India by incorporating the best available high-resolution climate and weather risk data. These ICT enabled tools allows the beneficiaries to strengthen their ability to understand the information, enhance their preparedness, and for informed decision-making at national and local levels.
The upcoming virtual launch of TCT and FEWS-J would be followed by a short discussion on the following aspects:
- How science-based tools on risks assessments can be used by policymakers to manage climate disasters to advance climate change adaptation?
- How regional cooperation could enhance the provisioning of science-based tools?
- How can scientific knowledge regarding disaster and climate risks be enhanced to support effective communication and trigger adaptation actions by individuals?
- How can effective data sharing and communication strategy for managing and averting disasters are integrated into the developmental policy or measures?
- Dr. Ajay Mathur, Director General, TERI
- Sh Jishnu Baruah, Additional Chief Secretary, Govt. of Assam, Revenue and Disaster Management Department
- Mr. K Kalamegam, Environment Engineer, DST&E, Govt. Of Puducherry
- Ms. Camilla Dannevig, Counsellor Corporation, Embassy of Norway to India
- Sh BP Yadav, Deputy Director-General of Meteorology-Hydrology, India Meteorological Department (IMD)
- Dr. Lu Li, Research Scientist, NORCE, Norway
- Mr. Dhiraj Saud, ACS, State Project Co-ordinator, Assam State Disaster Management Authority
- Mr. Pran Krishna Gogoi, District Project Officer, District Disaster Management Authority, Jorhat
- Mr. Sandeep Arur, Industry expert
- Mr. Karan Mangotra, Associate Director, ESCC, TERI
- Mr. Saurabh Bhardwaj, Fellow, Centre for Climate Modelling, Earth Science and Climate Change, TERI
- Mr. Prasoon Singh, Associate Fellow, Centre for Global Environment Research, Earth Science and Climate Change, TERI.
Interested candidates can register for the webinar by clicking here.
Mr. Saurabh Bhardwaj
Fellow, Centre for Climate Modelling
Earth Science and Climate Change
For full notification, click the link below.