Kanyashree Prakalpa seeks to improve the status and wellbeing of girls, specifically those from socio-economically disadvantaged families through Conditional Cash Transfers by:
- Incentivizing them to continue in education for a longer period of time, and complete secondary or higher secondary education, or equivalent in technical or vocational steams, thereby giving them a better footing in both the economic and social spheres.
- Disincentivising marriage till at least the age of 18, the legal age of marriage, thereby reducing the risks of early pregnancies, associated risks of maternal and child mortality, and other debilitating health conditions, including those of malnutrition.
- It was also decided that the Scheme should confer more than just monetary support; it should be a means of financial inclusion and a tool of empowerment for adolescent girls. The schemes benefits are therefore paid directly to bank accounts in the girls names, leaving the decision of utilization of the money in their hands.
- To reinforce the positive impact of increased education and delayed marriages, the scheme also works to enhance the social power and self-esteem of girls through a targeted behaviour change communication strategy. The communication strategy not only builds awareness of the scheme, but includes adolescent-friendly approaches like events, competitions and Kanyashree clubs, and the endorsement of strong women figures as role models to promote social and psychological empowerment.
What conditions do I need to fulfill to be eligible for Kanyashree Prakalpa?
While Kanyashrees Annual Scholarship of Rs. 750/- is for girls who are between the ages of 13 and 18 years, the one-time grant of Rs. 25,000/- is for girls who are between the ages of 18 and 19.
However, Kanyashree is NOT for ALL girls. Both the annual scholarship and the one-time grant are only for those girls who are:
- Residents of West Bengal AND
- Enrolled and regularly attending an educational institution AND
- Unmarried AND
- From families where the total income is not more than Rs. 1,20,000 per year. However, girls who are specially-abled (with a disability of 40% or more) or are living in a Home registered under the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000, or have lost both parents, may apply for Kanyashree even if their familys income is more than Rs. 1,20,000 per year
When do I apply for Kanyashree Prakalpa?
You should apply for the Annual Scholarship as soon as you turn 13 years of age. you must be studying in Class VIII or above.
Although you can apply for the one-time grant anytime between the ages of 18 and 19, it is better to do so as soon as you turn age 18.