About the Prize
Nominations are invited for the Volvo Environment Prize 2021 for Environmental Scientists. The Volvo Environment Prize is presented by an independent foundation with the purpose of rewarding outstanding scientific discoveries or innovations which in broad terms fall within the environmental field.
Laureates represent all fields of environmental and sustainability studies and initiatives.
The Volvo Environment Prize is awarded by an independent foundation. A Scientific Committee does the initial screening and evaluation of candidates. The International Prize Jury, a group of internationally renowned scientists, makes the final selection of prize laureate.
- The span of disciplines and activities for which nominations can be made is wide and includes all disciplines which have relevance to the environment.
- The research of nominees should be based on scientific grounds but must clearly show impacts outside of the specific discipline.
The Volvo Environment Prize is awarded annually. The Prize consists of a hand-crafted diploma, a glass sculpture and a cash award for SEK 1.5 million (approximately EUR 140,000 or USD 150,000). The award ceremony is in Stockholm in November each year.
How to Submit?
- Interested applicants can submit their nomination through this link.
- Nominations must include the following:
- A short letter of motivation
- A detailed description of the research the nominee has conducted and how it adds to our knowledge around environmental science. Main achievements and their importance should be emphasized. Emphasis must also be placed on the impacts of the research outside of the particular discipline e.g. impacts on policy development, impacts on sustainability and/or contribution to changed behaviour.
- CV of the nominee + list of published paper/s and links if available.
- Letter/s of reference. Maximum 3 letters written by someone other than the nominator.
- When submitting nominations for a group of named individuals please send one nomination for each person (maximum 3 persons) and specify in the description of achievements that the nomination is for a shared prize.
- A nomination remains valid for three years.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
A Scientific Committee reviews the nominations and presents a report to the international Prize Jury. The Jury recommends one or several winners to the Board of the Volvo Environment Prize Foundation, which then makes the formal decision.
Jan 10, 2021
For more details, click here.