Entries are invited for the USAID Global LEAD Digital Storytelling Contest 2021.
About the Contest
The United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Global Leadership and Education Advancing Development (Global LEAD) Initiative, YouthPower2: Learning and Evaluation (YP2LE), and Generation Unlimited (GenU), along with other global partners, have joined forces for this digital storytelling contest to show how youth are using the power of change to make the world a better place.
The contest is open to all members of the public who are:
- Citizens of low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) as listed here,
- Aged 18-35, and
- Members of YouthLead with a member profile that is at least 80 percent complete.
All video and/or slideshow submissions must:
- Be no longer than three minutes;
- Have a title and brief description; and
- Be an original work by the Entrant created for the purpose of this contest.
Submissions should not include copyrighted material. The use of copyrighted materials will result in immediate disqualification.
In addition, submissions that have been published on other platforms or prior publications will not be considered.
Direct video uploads are not permitted at YouthLead.org. Please upload your video submissions using a free, trusted third-party platform (e.g., YouTube, Vimeo) and provide us with the link.
Videos must be of a high enough quality to view uninterrupted, and no less than 480p.
- Entries that do not meet the submission criteria for the contest will be excluded.
- Decisions of the Judging Panel are final and are not subject to appeal.
- This contest is skills-based and chance plays no part in the determination of the winners.
Voting / Judging Criteria
Submissions that meet the contest rules will be displayed on the #WatchOurImpact Contest Video Gallery page, where new and existing YouthLead members can vote on their favorite contest entries. Voting will open July 1 and close on July 23.
There will also be a committee of judges whose votes will be weighted to account for any bots used to interfere with the voting process. The judges will evaluate the submissions based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
- Voice and Power
- Experience and Engagement
Voice and Power (30 percent) – Does the Entrant’s “voice” come through in the video or slideshow? Does the audience have a better understanding of the activity? Is it expressive? Does it capture emotion(s)?
Experience and Engagement (20 percent) – Does the submission help the audience to better understand or connect with the Entrant’s experience? Does it keep the audience engaged?
Inspire (25 percent) – Does the submission inspire the audience to want to learn more or take action?
Impact (25 percent) – Does the submission capture the impactful work being done in the Entrant’s community or bring attention to the cause?
The winning submissions will be published at YouthLead.org, promoted via our YouthLead social media channels and newsletter, and announced across all campaign partners’ social media channels. In addition, contest winners will:
- Take part in the USAID Global LEAD #WatchOurImpact Dialogue with other VIPs on August 12.
- Be featured on GenU’s website.
- Have the opportunity to meet with a senior member of the GenU global leadership council or board.
- Lead a “social media takeover” of GenU accounts.
- Become part of GenU’s pool of moderators.
- Be connected with GenU country offices.
How to Register?
Interested participants can register for the contest through this link.
July 23, 2021
Click here to view the official notification for the USAID Global LEAD Digital Storytelling Contest 2021.
More such opportunities that you might be interested in: