For papers on any topic using data from the ICPSR General Archive or Thematic Collections.
Awards: $1,000 for first place, $750 for second place. There are separate undergraduate and master’s prizes for this competition.
- Entrants must be current master’s or undergraduate students, or recent graduates who graduated on or after April 1, 2017. (Students who graduated before April 1, 2017, are not eligible.)
- Entrants must be from ICPSR member institutions.
- Entrants may be from the US or outside the US.
All entries must meet the following criteria:
- Author Status: Must be an undergraduate or graduate student, or recent graduate (graduated on or after April 1, 2017).
- Coauthorship: Papers written by more than one student are permitted. Coauthored or multiple-authored winners will share the specified monetary awards.
- Single Submission: Only one paper entered by author, whether as sole author or as a coauthor.
- Student Authorship: Papers co-authored with faculty are not eligible. Only student-authored papers are eligible.
- Originality: Each paper must be an original analysis and must be the author’s own work. Papers previously published are not eligible.
- ICPSR Data: Each paper must analyze data held in the ICPSR archive or one of the Thematic Collections. (Students may use a dataset accessed from another source if ICPSR also holds a copy of the same dataset.)
- Work Product: Papers submitted must be the product of work toward completion of an undergraduate or master’s degree.
- Preparation: Paper adheres to preparation requirements (see below).
- Entry Form: Entry form is completed and submitted (see below).
- Deadline: All papers and corresponding entry forms must be received by midnight Pacific Standard Time, January 31, 2018.
- Papers must be submitted electronically along with the proper Entry/Publication Release Form for the entered competition. They must be sent to the correct email address, as indicated in this section. A complete entry includes the research paper and the appropriate Entry and Publication Release Form in the same, single email.
Competition Name Entry Form Send to Email Address ICPSR Research Paper Competition – Undergraduate ICPSR Undergraduate Entry and Publication Release (Word 30K) email@example.com ICPSR Research Paper Competition – Master’s ICPSR Master’s Entry and Publication Release(Word 30K) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please complete all information and save the files (entry form and the research paper) using the appropriate file-naming format from among the following:ICPSR Undergraduate Competition – LAST NAME
ICPSR Master’s Competition – LAST NAMEUse the name of only the contest category (ICPSR Undergraduate, ICSPR Master’s) you are entering. Follow this naming format for the entry and paper file names, and the email subject line.
- The content of the email also must include: Student/Author Name(s):
Faculty Advisor or Mentor:
Title of Paper:
Competition Category Entered: (ICPSR Undergraduate, ICPSR Master’s)
For more information, please contact Dory Knight-Ingram, email@example.com.
For further details, Click here.