Applications are invited for admission to the Ph.D. Programme in the Department of Genetics at the University of Calcutta.
The eligible candidates will have to appear for an online written MCQ examination, RET 2020.
Successful candidates will be called for an online interview where apart from answering fundamental questions, they are also expected to discuss their research interest/area based on a Statement of Purpose (SoP). The candidate needs to submit a SoP, within 1000 words during initial application.
Department of Genetics presently has 8 vacancies for which reservation policies would follow as per the asset by the Higher Education Department, Govt. of West Bengal
The final selection for joining the PhD program of this department along with the allocation of supervisor will be made on the basis of an interview.
The candidates seeking admission in the PhD programme must have obtained at least 55% of marks in aggregate in their M.Sc. examination from any UGC recognized university/ at least 50% of marks in M.Phil.
Those candidates who have already passed UGC-CSIR (JRF) NET/SET/SLET/GATE/Teacher Fellowship or equivalent examination or passed M.Phil/M.Tech or equivalent examination need not appear for the written test. Nevertheless, they are to submit a complete application including the SoP.
How to apply
Candidates willing to pursue research work leading subsequently to the Ph.D. (Sc.) degree in Genetics, University of Calcutta, should apply in plain paper in the format given in the notification below to the Head of the Department and send it to the email IDs: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Self-attested copies of all testimonials must be submitted by the candidate along with the application for it to be considered complete in all respects. Incomplete applications will not be entertained.
- Last date of submission of application: 28.08.2020 (by 5.30 pm)
- List of eligible candidates for written examination to be conveyed via email: 29.08.2020
- Date of RET (written part) Examination (MCQ type: 50 questions: duration: 12 noon-1pm): 01.09. 2020
- Date of declaration of results of the written part of RET (to be conveyed via email: ) on: 03.09.2020
- Date of RET interview for successful candidates in the RET written part and also for the candidates who have already cleared eligibility tests like NET/SET/SLET/ GATE and equivalent exams or those having M. Phil., or M.Tech.: 07.09.2020 (12 noon onwards)
- Date of declaration of the names of successful candidates will be notified in due course.
RET 2020 Syllabus
The syllabus for RET written examination will be fundamentally based on the current M.Sc. (Genetics) syllabus of the University of Calcutta.
However, knowledge of Chemistry and basics of computer applications would also be tested.
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
For full details and application form, click the link below.