The University of Kent is situated in a spacious landscaped campus overlooking the historic city of Canterbury and its medieval cathedral. The English department at Kent has been hosting Charles Wallace India Trust Writing Fellowships since 1991.
Many of our Fellows have been writers at the start of their career who have subsequently gone on to build up significant and influential bodies of work in a wide variety of literary fields. Early recipients of the fellowship included Upamanyu Chatterjee, Mahesh Dattani and Smita Agarwal.
More recently, we have had the pleasure of hosting, amongst others, Manju Kapur, Radhika Jha, Ruchir Joshi and Anjum Hasan. The Fellowship will normally cover all accommodation and living expenses for a period of residence lasting up to twelve weeks.
For eligibility the candidate must:
- Be an Indian citizen, domiciled and resident
- Have completed university-level education in the field of literature and/or have between five and seven years of professional experience
- Have a clear proposal stating what they plan to do at the University of Kent and how they hope to use the experience on their return to India
- Have not been given a Charles Wallace India Trust Writing Fellowship grant within the previous five years
Applications for the fellowship will include the following:
- A clear proposal of what the candidate wants to achieve in coming to Kent and how they will use this in their work once they return to India
- Two references from referees who know your work very well
- Examples of your creative writing (which will not be returned)
- A full CV
Applications for the 2018 Fellowship will be accepted from now until September 30th, 2017. The successful candidate will be informed at the beginning of December. The Fellow will normally be expected to take up their post at the University from January 2018.
If you are unable to post the submission in time, email submissions will be accepted at the following address: email@example.com. Applications should be sent by post to: Dr Alex Padamsee, School of English, Rutherford College Extension, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NX.