About the Program
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is a part of the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer.
UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
Organizational Context and Project Description
A growing body of research and studies, including the UNV’s own lessons learned, points to the benefits volunteerism accrues to a youth’s own development and to societies at large.
Firstly, volunteerism can support young people to become active leaders and citizens and serves as an important tool for engagement in society.
Secondly, youth volunteerism strengthens the bond between young people and their communities.
And finally, volunteerism helps young people improve their employment prospects through practical experiences which enhance both hard and soft job-related skills.
In India, the origin and development of volunteerism has been shaped by its indigenous traditions and value systems rooted in the religion and cultural interactions with incoming cultures throughout its history.
The National Youth Policy (NYP) -2014 aims to “empower youth of the country to achieve their full potential and through them enable India to find its rightful place in the community of nations.”
As such the policy proposes to engage with Youth clubs and the large volunteer force available within youth development agencies to play a pivotal role in developing appropriate initiatives for young people.
Number of Opportunity
There are multiple opportunities at various different districts for the NUNV District Youth Cordinator.
Conditions of Service
A 12 month contract, with subsequent contract extensions subject to availability of funding, operational necessity and satisfactory performance. However, there is no expectation of renewal of the assignment.
The deadline for multiple position is September 19, 2018.
Travel to duty station (if applicable) and a Settling-In-Grant will be provided in the event duty station is not within commuting distance from the place of recruitment. A Volunteer Living Allowance(VLA) of Rs. 42,473.67 (Rupees Forty Two Thousand Four Hundered Seventy Three and Sixty Seven Paise only) is provided monthly to cover housing, utilities and normal cost of living expenses.
Life, health and permanent disability insurance are included (health insurance for up to 3 dependents), as well as final repatriation (if applicable) and resettlement allowance for satisfactory service.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least a University level degree (Bachelor Degree) in Political/ Development Studies or related fields.
- A Masters level Degree in Political/Development Studies or related field will be considered as an added advantage.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in administration and monitoring. Preferably in administration, management and monitoring of youth, volunteerism, economic and social development issues
- Good analytical skills (including writing skills), good inter-personal skills and the ability to work under pressure, both independently and as part of a team.
- Sound coordination skills will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in English and Hindi/local language of the district.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages, (MS Word, Excel, and Power Point, etc.).
- Willingness to travel
- Good Communication Skills
Interested candidates should submit their applications at the link given here.
To visit the official website click here.