UNCCD invites you to mobilize the youth to take care of land as part of the solution to climate change. The incredible power and deep concern of young people for the climate emergency is evident proven.
They have witnessed youth in action during protests and strikes (Fridays for Climate movement is going strong and growing, after nearly 100 weeks) and similar movements are born all around the world, following the same purpose: to ensure a sustainable future for all.
Good land stewardship plays a critical role in achieving international commitments for climate, biodiversity and sustainable development. Effective land management is important to meet all of the sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- Participants have to be between 15 and 30 years old on the day of their participation. A proof of age could be asked to the finalists in May
- Only entries with #UNCCDLandHeroes AND #FoodFeedFibre will be considered
- Current and former staff, consultants, and interns of the United Nations, as well as first degree relatives of the aforementioned individuals, can participate but are not eligible to receive the monetary prize
- The participants grant the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), its partners and other UN agencies as well as other persons or entities authorized by the UNCCD, the right to publish the photos, videos and texts, and to promote the projects and initiatives shared through this context, mentioning the name of the participant
How to participate?
Participants are invited to submit a short text with a photo or video where they propose a specific solution to limit the footprint that our production and consumption of food, feed and fibre leave on the land.
- Examples of individual actions can vary from swapping clothes with friends, composting or using a fabric handkerchief instead of disposable tissues
- Example of existing projects to make a difference can include planting a community garden, a school campaign to become plastic-free or mobilizing people to ban food waste, a school club that meets to mend and repair clothes to donate to a local shelter or resell to raise school funds
- Share your story on social media (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram), tagging UNCCD and using the official hashtags of the contest #UNCCDLandHeroes and #FoodFeedFibre.
- Launch of the contest 25 March 2020
- Deadline to send submissions 15 May 2020
- Announcement of the winner and promotion of project 17 June 2020
- A USD500 cash price will be awarded to one of participating UNCCD Land Heroes for an outstanding project with significant outreach capacity, to invest in the impactful and scalable action to be implemented by the end of 2021.
- The winner will be selected by the UNCCD secretariat, and the project widely promoted on social media and shared with UNCCD Land Ambassadors for them to support through their channels. The winning project will also be showcased at UNCCD major events, such as Desertification and Drought Day global observance event.