Entries are invited from eligible candidates for the UN World Oceans Day Photo Competition 2022.
About the Competition
Photography is a powerful medium to convey a feeling or a message. This open and free photo competition seeks to inspire the creation of imagery capturing the beauty, the challenges and the importance of the ocean and humankind’s relation to it, hoping to contribute to actions to preserve this vital resource.
The photo competition has six thematic categories open for submissions:
- Above Water Seascapes
- Underwater Seascapes
- Nature-Based Solutions & Ocean Exploration
- Ocean Critters
- Coastal Communities
Winning images will be recognized at the United Nations on June 8th during the United Nations’ event marking World Oceans Day 2022.
Recognition and diffusion of the winning images and finalists will be widely exposed throughout the contest websites, the media and the informational materials related to subsequent competitions. Winning photos have been printed for exhibitions around the world.
Entries must be submitted electronically in accordance with the contest guidelines and subject to the contest rules.
- The contest is open to entrants of all skill levels.
- Photo contest staff and judges are not allowed to enter the contest.
- Entries may have been taken from any camera, digital or film (as scanned slides).
- Conservation rules will be strictly observed. Flora and fauna should never be stressed or endangered for the sake of a photo. Entries suspected of involving the following behavior will be disqualified:
- Photographers visibly damaging the environment (e.g., gear dragging or kicking up sand, divers exhibiting poor buoyancy control)
- Animals with signs of stress (e.g., puffed puffers, inking octopus)
- Animals moved to an unnatural environment or risky location
- Marine life being touched or placed (e.g., nudibranchs, coral polyps, seahorse tails)
Photo Submission Guidelines
- Entries must be saved in JPEG format and should be sized to be between 2,000 and 6,000 pixels in the longest dimension. Please limit your images to a maximum file size of 5,000KB (5MB). Images will be viewed on a large monitor and should be in the AdobeRGB 1998 or sRGB color space.
- Please do not include any watermark or borders on your images. These elements will detract from the image’s impact. It’s not that we don’t want you to protect your images; it’s just hard to appreciate an image with a watermark over it. (We will keep the display of winning images consistently, and when your image is displayed, it will be clearly labeled as your image.)
- The same image can only be entered into one category.
How to Register?
Interested participants can register for the competition through this link.
April 15, 2022