UN Women and UNV launch the new Young Women Leaders Initiative to create professional opportunities for leaders of tomorrow and further enhance diversity in UN Women. UN Women & UNV invite 10 young women from the Global South to serve as UN Youth Volunteers at UN Women Headquarters in New York.
As part of the Young Women Leaders initiative, UN Women and UNV will recruit the first cohort of 10 young, talented and dedicated women to serve at UN Women’s headquarters as UN Youth Volunteers.
While participating in a structured professional development programme, the YWL participants will be mentored by leaders in their respective fields of expertise. They will have the opportunity to contribute to gender equality and women’s empowerment and become part of a network of young leaders at UN Women.
Applicants for the Young Women Leaders Programme must be nationals of the Global South and no older than 29 years old throughout the entire duration of the assignment.
Applications from women with disabilities, LGBTQI, gender non-conforming individuals, and other marginalized groups are especially encouraged to apply.
- Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
- Education – Additional Comments: Bachelor’s degree (with two years of experience) or Master’s degree (with minimum one year of experience) in a related field is required:
Administration –Business & Administration
Communications & Advocacy –communications, public relations, journalism
Partnership & Resource Mobilization –economics, business management, social sciences, public administration, international relations, communications, women’s studies
Strategic Planning –international development or public administration, economics
UN Coordination –international development, public administration, public policy, or other social science
Policy Support – social sciences, human rights, gender/women’s studies, international development
- Required experience: 12 Months
- Experience remark: Demonstrated commitment to Gender Equality and 1 year of experience with Master’s Degree; 2 years of experience with Bachelor’s Degree.
- Language skills: English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Area of expertise: Other development programmes/project experience
- Area of expertise details:
Knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights issues;
Strong IT literacy in standard applications is mandatory (Excel, Word, PowerPoint,etc)
Analytical and interpersonal skills.
Please find here a list of general functions and responsibilities that a YWL may be assigned. Based on the selected areas below in which the YWL will be working (as specified below), the supervisor and YWL will develop a more detailed description of assignment
- Provide inputs to, compile and analyze information related to project or initiative within area of interest
- Monitor, coordinate and draft reports on activities
- Raft new proposals or ideas
- Perform background research
- Provide technical inputs to documents and policies
- Provide inputs to knowledge management products
- Draft briefing notes and presentations
- Gather and analyze data
- Draft training materials and organize training sessions
Administration and Operations
- Develop templates and forms and gather inputs as needed
- Maintain and databases
- Respond to queries
- Provide suggestions for business and operations improvements
Communication and Advocacy
- Draft, provide input to and disseminate communication materials
- Maintain and update webpages, intranet pages or other communication channels
- Reach out to Regional Office and Country Office focal points as needed
- Respond to queries from stakeholders
- Participate in internal and external working groups
- Please apply via this page. You can then either log in if you already have an account or register via ‘Candidate Signup’.
- Application deadline: 25 January 2021