UN-Habitat, the United Nations agency focusing on sustainable urbanization, is calling for nominations for its prestigious Scroll of Honour award.
About the Award
The UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour Award was launched in 1989 and is one of the most prestigious human settlements award in the world.
It aims to acknowledge initiatives which have made outstanding contributions in the field of human settlements, provision of housing, highlighting the plight of people living in poverty or who have been displaced, developing and improving human settlements and the quality of urban life to leave no one behind echoing the Sustainable Development Goals 2030 with emphasis on Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities.
Individuals and organizations working on sustainable urban projects which have had great impact in society, can be nominated for the UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour.
- Government and inter-governmental organizations or agencies, including bilateral aid agencies
- Local and Regional Governments or their associations
- Civil society organizations
- The private sector
- Architectural bureaus, design companies
- Individual architects or designers
- Real estate developers or construction businesses
- National Habitat Committees or focal points
- Research and academic institutions
- Public or private foundations
- Multilateral agencies (United Nations Agencies, World Bank, etc.)
- The media
Nominations must come from a third party. Examples include: A government can nominate a programme of a ministry, or an institute. An institute can nominate another different institute or different entity like an NGO, or an individual.
The head of a university can nominate a professor from a different university, or an institute. A government can nominate a city or an individual. A city can nominate a government representative, programme, project, university, NGO.
An individual can nominate an institution or programme as long as the individual is not employed by the institution or project, neither is affiliated in any way to the institution or the project.
- After the closing date of 31 July, UN-Habitat will make an initial assessment of the nominations and submissions and verify that the submission conforms to the standards outlined in the guidelines. Qualifying submissions will be sent to the Selection Committee comprising UN-Habitat experts and senior management.
- The Selection Committee will choose their winning candidates and make their recommendations to the Executive Director outlining their reasons for the selection of a maximum of five winning initiatives.
- UN-Habitat’s Executive Director, based on the recommendations of the Selection Committee, will make the final selection of the UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour winners.
- The UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour nominees will be notified from 16 August 2022 onwards on the outcome.
- The winners will receive their award during the global celebration of the World Habitat Day observance on 3 October 2022.
Terms and Conditions
- The prize for the winning entry will be awarded to the person or organization named in the submission form but can also be received on their/its behalf by an officially appointed representative
- All entries will be available for international exhibition, demonstration, publication and media coverage and UN-Habitat will not be required to seek further permission for any such use.
- Where the submission of a project is made by someone other than the overall organizer/holder of the copyright, it is assumed that they have given permission for the submission and the terms indicated in points 1 and 2 above
- Supporting material as part of the online submission such as media articles (URL) videos (URL) and photographs (JPEG) are highly welcome.
- Please note that all details with attachments in line with the guidelines for nominations are to be submitted online in English.
- Submissions in another language than English will be disqualified.
- Any submission which does not meet the criteria, is incomplete, or received after the deadline of 31 July 2022 will not be considered.
How to Submit?
- 7 April 2022: Call for nominations
- 31 July 2022: Deadline for submissions
- 16 August 2022: Winners selected and notified
- 3 October 2022: UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour awards presented at the Global Observance of World Habitat Day
In case of questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.