Higher Education has had played a very vital role in the history of nation-building all over the world. It is amply clear that no rise in general standards of living and culture is possible without strengthening the higher education system in the country. It obviously calls for a multipronged strategy.
There is a need to modernize our higher education system, and equally important to continuously attract young and talented students to pursue higher education. It is being increasingly observed that the brighter lot is not pursuing Post-Graduate education in our institutions of higher learning.
To emerge as a powerful nation, there is an urgent need to bring in talented boys and girls in the field of Post-Graduate education by way of providing them with good incentives in the form of scholarships. The UGC, therefore, introduced a Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship Scheme for University undergraduate rank holders.
Who is it for?
- The First and Second Rank holders at the undergraduate level and admitted in any Postgraduate Course would be awarded the scholarship. The students will have to submit the proof of their merit position at the undergraduate level as well as their admission in postgraduate courses.
- The scholarship would, however, be subjected to securing a minimum of sixty percent marks at the undergraduate level. The joining report has to be uploaded.
- The scheme is applicable to such students who have taken admission in regular, full-time Master’s degree course in any recognized university, deemed university, private university, autonomous college or a post-graduate college.
- The scholarship is available to the student for first PG Degree only. Age limit for the students is 30 years at the time of admission in PG course.
- Distance mode of education will not be considered under the scheme.
- The Undergraduate courses from following streams have been identified for the award of scholarships: 1.Life Sciences 2. Physical Sciences 3. Chemical Sciences 4. Earth Sciences 5. Mathematical Sciences 6. Social Sciences 7. Commerce 8. Languages
- Before verifying applications of students the concerned Universities may ensure that applicants satisfy all norms as per guidelines.
- Applications will be invited once in a year on the National Scholarship Portal of the Government of India. Short notification will also be uploaded on the UGC website.
- Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. Only verified online applications will be considered for award of scholarship.
- The concerned University/ Institute should verify that the applicant is a first or second rank holder out of the specified total number of students who appeared in the examination at the undergraduate level as specified in the guidelines.
Slots & Amount of Scholarship
- Slots: 3000
- Amount of fellowship: Rs.3,100/- p.m for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.