About the PG Scholarship for University Rank Holders
To emerge as a powerful nation, there is an urgent need to bring in talented boys and girls in the field of Post-Graduate education by way of providing them good incentives in the form of scholarships.
The UGC, therefore, introduced a Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship Scheme for University undergraduate rank holders.
The scholarship may be tenable for a period of two years to enable the rank holders of each
university at undergraduate level to pursue their Master’s Degree. All universities/degree
awarding institutions would be required to issue rank certificates to the toppers of the university in B.A., B.Sc., and B.Com.
The purpose of this scheme is to attract talent for pursuing post graduate studies besides
strengthening the basic subjects at Undergraduate level. The awardees, under this scheme, can pursue their Postgraduate programme in any area of specialization in any institution of higher learning in the country.
Tenure of scholarship: Two years
Nature of Scholarship
Amount of fellowship: Rs.3,100/- p.m for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
The student who is awarded Post-Graduate Scholarship for University Rank Holders will not be debarred from accepting any other scholarships.
- The scholarship is available to the student for first PG Degree only. Age limit for the students is 30 years at the time of admission in PG course.
- Distance mode of education will not be considered under the scheme.
- The Undergraduate courses from following streams have been identified for the award of scholarships:
- Life Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Before verifying applications of students the concerned Universities may ensure that applicants satisfy all norms as per guidelines.
- The first and second rank holders (Not position holders) would be considered from Universities/ Institutions and non-affiliated/ autonomous colleges according to the number of students who have appeared in the examination at undergraduate level as below.
- Affiliating Universities (State/ Central): 100
- Deemed Universities/ Private Universities/Autonomous Colleges / Non-affiliated colleges: 25
How to apply
The application link can be accessed at this website. Click the UGC Schemes tab on this page.
The deadline to apply is Nov 30, 2018.
For full details about the scheme, click here.