Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the UGC ISHAN UDAY Special Scholarship for North Eastern Students.
About the UGC ISHAN UDAY Special Scholarship
The Ministry of HRD and the University Grants Commission has taken special interest with regard to promotion of higher education in the NER. For improving the GER, promoting higher education and for encouraging children belonging to economically weaker section of the NE region, the UGC has decided to launch “IshanUday” Special Scholarship Scheme for North Eastern Region from academic session 2014-15.
Before launching the scheme the UGC undertook wide ranging consultations witHState Governments and Central & State Universities of the NE region, the Ministry ofHRD, the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region , the North EasternCouncil, Shillong and other stakeholders.
- To provide equal opportunities for higher studies in NE Region.
- To increase the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) in NE Region.
- To focus more on professional education in NE Region.
- Optimum utilization of NER Budgetary Allocation.
Ten thousand (10,000) fresh scholarships every year beginning from the academic year 2014-15 for general degree courses, technical and professional courses, including medical and paramedical courses as certified by the Registrar/ Principal/ Director of University/ College/ Institute.
- Students with domicile of NER, whose parental annual income does not exceed Rs.4.5 lakh per annum from all sources.
- Passed XII or equivalent in the preceding year of study i.e. 2017 for applications called for during year 2017-18.
- Secured admission in first year of any degree course, either general degree course of technical/professional/ medical/ paramedical course (Integrated courses included) in any of the following University/ College/ Institute:
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under Section 2(f) and 12 (B) of UGC Act.
- Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC.
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges funded by Central / State Government.
- Institutes of National Importance.
- Institutions recognized by other Statutory councils within as well as outside
- The admission should have been made in University/ Institution/ College with AISHE code.
- For availing scholarship under this scheme, the income of the parents of the student should not exceed Rs.4.5 lakh per annum.
- Transgender candidates are eligible to apply under the scheme. The reservation shall be followed as per Government of India norms.
No. of Scholarship
- UGC will award 10,000 (ten thousand) fresh scholarships per year.
- Allocation of slots for each State shall be done based upon the population (latest census report) of the respective State. If the slots remain vacant in any particular State, the unfilled slots shall be distributed equitably among other States.
- There shall be three Percent horizontal reservation for differently- abled persons.
Amount of Scholarship
Rs.5400/- per month for general degree course and Rs.7800/- per month for technical/medical/professional/paramedical courses.
Duration of Scholarship
- After selection, the awardees will be paid scholarship on DBT mode.
- The list of awardees will be pushed to Public Financial Management System (PFMS) by the NIC.
- PFMS will generate payment files on the basis of the nomenclature of course being pursued by the awardee (general degree/ technical/ medical/ professional/ paramedical). Payments will be generated on annual basis.
- 10,000 (ten thousand) fresh scholarships will be awarded every year.
- Distribution of slots amongst the states of NER will be done on the basis of population census(last).
- If slots in a particular state remain vacant due to non-availability of eligible candidates, the unfilled slots will be distributed equitably amongst other states.
- Reservation for Persons with Disability (PwD) will be made as per Government of India norms.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the scholarship through this link.
November 30, 2021
Click here to view the official notification for the UGC ISHAN UDAY Special Scholarship 2021 for North Eastern Students.
More such opportunities that you might be interested in: