About the Scholarship
The Ministry of HRD and the University Grants Commission has taken special interest with regard to promotion of higher education in the NER. For improving the GER, promoting higher education and for encouraging children belonging to the economically weaker section of the NE region, the UGC has decided to launch “Ishan Uday” Special Scholarship Scheme for North Eastern Region from academic session 2014-15.
Before launching the scheme the UGC undertook wide-ranging consultations with State Governments and Central & State Universities of the NE region, the Ministry of HRD, the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, the North EasternCouncil, Shillong and other stakeholders.
Ten thousand (10,000) fresh scholarships every year beginning from the academic year 2014-15 for general degree courses, technical and professional courses, including medical and paramedical courses as certified by the Registrar/ Principal/ Director of University/ College/ Institute.
- Students with the domicile of NER, whose parental annual income does not exceed Rs.4.5 lakh per annum from all sources.
- Passed XII or equivalent in the preceding year of study i.e. 2017 for applications called for during the year 2017-18.
- Secured admission in the first year of any degree course, either general degree course of technical/ professional/ medical/ paramedical course (Integrated courses included) in any of the following University/ College/ Institute: i) Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under Section 2(f) and 12 (B) of UGC Act. ii) Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC. iii) Universities/Institutions/Colleges funded by Central / State Government. iv) Institutes of National Importance. v) Institutions recognized by other Statutory councils within as well as outside. vi) The admission should have been made in University/ Institution/ College with AISHE code.
- UGC will award 10,000 (ten thousand) fresh scholarships per year.
- Allocation of slots for each State shall be done based upon the population (latest census report) of the respective State. If the slots remain vacant in any particular State, the unfilled slots shall be distributed equitably among other States.
- There shall be three Percent horizontal reservation for differently-abled persons.
- Applications will be invited once in a year on the National e-Scholarship Portal of the Government of India. Short notification will also be uploaded on the UGC website.
- At the time of applying, the course will be classified as a general degree or professional by the concerned University/ Institution/College.
- Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. Only verified online applications will be considered for award of scholarship
Amount of Scholarship
Rs. 5400/- per month for a general degree course and Rs. 7800/- per month for technical/medical/ professional/ paramedical courses.
Interested and eligible candidates can apply on or before 31 October 2019.