With a view to providing an opportunity for the continuance of research contributions by talented Science and Technology teachers who are nearing superannuation in State Universities of Basic Science Research in universities has evolved the “UGC-BSR Faculty Fellowship Scheme”. The scheme is also applicable to superannuating teachers of Central Universities.
- To facilitate talented teachers in Science and Technology at the verge of superannuation to continue their productive research for an additional period of THREE YEARS after superannuation.
- To play a research mentorship role for young researchers and Ph.D students.
- Teachers at the level of Readers/Associate professors / Professors in the Science and Technology departments of the universities.
- The applicant must have successfully supervised the Ph.D. dissertation of 15 (in basic sciences) or 10 (in engineering and technology) full time candidates, 5 of whom having received their degrees during the preceding 10 years.
- The cumulative impact factor of the published papers by the applicant should be > 50 (according to the Journal citation Reports of Thomson Reuters).
- The applicant must have handled, as Principal Investigator, at least 3 sponsored research projects funded by national / international agencies, in the last 10 years.
- The applicant must apply within one year of the date of superannuation in the
- The applicant shall not hold any administrative responsibility during the tenure of the fellowship which would be from the date of superannuation.
- The Department / School / University shall have to provide an undertaking in the application that the applicant would be provided
- with the required laboratory infrastructure and administrative assistance for undertaking the fellowship work and
- with permission to take a minimum of Two stipendiary candidates for Ph.D. under the applicant, if selected for the UGC-BSR Faculty Fellowship Award.
Quantum of Support
- Financial assistance under the scheme shall be: 50,000/- p.m. (exclusive of the pension and / or other retirement benefits), and a research grant of 5,00,000/- p.a. (on yearly basis).
- The Research grant can be utilized for purchase equipments, computer / laptop, printer, chemicals glassware and consumables, contingency, hiring project/technical assistant, field work, travel (within India), etc.
- The grant cannot be utilized for International travel and purchase of furniture.
- The recipient can decide the quantum of funds under these heads depending on his / her needs.
- Tenure of fellowship for Three years / 68 year whichever is earlier.
The awardee shall execute the undertaking to UGC along with the university for joining the fellowship and to abide by the norms and guidelines of UGC pertaining to this fellowship from time to time and to send the bi-annual progress report and UC/annual audited statement of accounts.
How to apply
The scheme is open throughout the year. Click here to apply for the fellowship.
The National Coordinator of this Programme goes through the applications, evaluates them and makes recommendations.