The third edition of the workshop on “Policy and Diplomacy for Scientists: Introduction to Responsible Research Practices in Chemical and Biochemical Sciences” will be held from 9 to 13 September 2019 at the headquarters of The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) in Trieste, Italy. The workshop will be organised in collaboration between TWAS and the InterAcademy Partnership (IAP).
The objective of the workshop is to raise awareness among young scientists on the policy and diplomacy aspects that are related to the use of chemicals in various scientific disciplines, including chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, and other related fields.
The ultimate goal of the event will be to bridge the gap between scientists and policymakers and to promote the adoption of responsible and sustainable practices by scientists in low- and middle-income Member States of the OPCW.
The five-day workshop will include theoretical lectures and interactive sessions on the following topics:
- the work of international organisations in the promotion and control of the science and technology (S&T) and industrial activities in chemical and biochemical sciences, and related regulations imposed by the international treaties;
- the impact of developments in S&T on international security and on the implementation of international treaties;
- science advice and science diplomacy;
- the concept of sustainability in industrial and research activities;
- issues related to the multiple uses of science;
- ethics in science and responsible research practices; and
- a study tour on a selected topic.
- Applicants are invited to complete the application through Eventus, the OPCW event management system.
- Applicants must first create an account and then register for the event. Those who, for technical reasons, are not able to submit their applications online via Eventus are requested to complete and send the endorsement and application forms via email attachment.
All applications must be received by the Secretariat no later than 28 June 2019.
For any queries, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org