Training program on surge analysis and design of surge protection systems is being organized for engineers involved in pipeline design and construction at IITH in collaboration with Dr. P Raghuveer Rao, IISc.
Till date 16 such programs were organized at IISc Bangalore with about 450
participants from water boards, public health engineering, irrigation and rural water supply
departments of states, consulting firms (Indian and Foreign), construction companies, pump and valve manufactures.
IIT Hyderabad is involved in various projects related to surge analysis. Detailed studies have been conducted for government projects like,
Kaleshwaram, Pattiseema, Godavari lift irrigation scheme etc., and other consultancy works.
- Estimation of friction losses
- Computation of pump head
- System curve analysis
- Basic concepts of surge
- Effect of column separation
- Parameters influencing surge
- Interpretation of surge results
- Types of pipes
- Design criteria for surge protection
- Control of surge
- Surge protection devices
- Design of air vessel, one-way surge tank, stand pipe
- Transient analysis for circulating water systems.
- Case studies in water transmission mains, lift irrigation schemes and CW systems.
Following are eligible to attend the training program:
- Masters / PhD level students of Civil/ Mechanical/Chemical Engineering
- Postdocs / Project associates in water resources or allied areas
- Faculty of engineering colleges / universities teaching water resources related subjects
- Government officials of water resources related departments
- Any independent person with relevant experience.
- The registration fees are given below:
Industry Participants: Rs. 30,000
Government Officials, Research Scholars & Faculty: Rs. 20,000
Master Students: Rs. 15,000
- Eligible candidates can download registration form here
- Instruction for filling the application are available here.
- Duly filled application along with DD should reach Department of Civil Engineering,
IIT Hyderabad (registered / speed post) on or before Jun 10.
For any queries, contact
- Dr. Shashidhar
Department of Civil Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad
Kandi Campus, Sangareddy—502285,
Phone: 040 2301 6107