The Barefoot Academy of Governance, in collaboration with Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), is offering a one year PG Diploma program in Facilitating Governance Reform, where participants learn from the best in the field and engage in critical field studies through immersion and interaction with tribal, rural and urban communities.
Launched in 2016, the course is now accepting applicants for its fourth batch, continuing in its mission to create a cadre of Change Catalysts, equipped with the necessary skills to facilitate reform of different governance systems, such as Health, Education, Water, Bio-Diversity, Agriculture and much more. The PG Diploma is not just a course, it is a new perspective on governance reform through a critical, inclusive, and compassionate lens.
The course aims to:
- create a cadre of Change Catalysts, who will engage with live issues of governance, sustainable development, and democracy, with a specific view on governance reform
- foster an inter-disciplinary, multisectorial exploration of the conceptual frameworks and perspectives on governance. This exploration shall yield insights into how people, communities, institutions, and democracies function, from an experiential, personal, and critical learning point of view.
- produce governance professionals who will work with a commitment to deepen democracy and dignity, leading to sustainable development.
- encourage a democratisation of government institutions, making them vibrant and geared towards the principles of Social justice, Equity, Sustainable development of economy and ecology, Accountability and Transparency.
The course structure consists of 4 thematic modules of 3 months each, spread out over the year.
The 4 thematic modules are as follows:
1. The Change Agent Prepares
2. Self, Dignity, and Identity
3. Self, Systems, and Development
4. Self, Collectives, Institutions, and Democracy – Self and the global Citizenship
Each theme will have a
Direct Learning contact course program [2 weeks] in which the theoretical foundations will be imparted.
Distance Learning Action Research and Field Work programme [10 weeks] in which the
participants will undertake field studies with communities and governmental and developmental institutions, in the areas of their work.
PHASE 1: Shall commence at the TISS Mumbai campus in May, 2019. Specific Dates will be announced later.
PHASE 2, 3, and 4 involves the study of governance issues in actual site situations. They shall be held in different places where innovative programmes on citizen-led, people-centric, sustainable development and governance reform programmes are underway.
The locations are as follows
- Dahanu in Palghar District, Maharashtra
- Muniguda in Rayagada District, Odisha
- Veppur in Perambalur District, Tamil Nadu (venue may be different)
Who can apply
This course is open to anyone interested in designing and implementing institutional change programmes on themes related to ‘dignity, development, and democracy’.
It may be of special interest to
- government officials
- community leaders
- elected representatives
- development workers
- leaders of mass organisations
- members of civil society
Participants must have
- A graduate degree
- Working knowledge of English
Preference will be given to those with about 2-3 years of continuous experience in working with communities and governance processes as
- functionaries of government departments and governance bodies
- extension workers
- community workers
- functionaries of NGOs and developmental agencies leaders of mass organisations engaged in human rights and developmental issues
The total course fee structure amounts to Rs 60,000/-.
Fees will be collected in 4 instalments. The First instalment will have to be paid by 31st March 2019, following the announcement of selected candidates, and later dates will be intimated after the course begins.
The course fee does not cover the cost of the following:
- Travel to venue of Direct Learning classes
- Boarding and lodging for the 4 modules
Participants will have to bear the charges for these expenses independently. So far, the boarding and lodging fees has been kept to within a maximum of Rs 750/- per day.
How to register
- Visit this link.
- Fill out the online application form on TISS website
- Send your completed essays to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc: email@example.com
Make sure to respond to the themes outlined, within the prescribed word limit.
|Formal launch of Course announcement in TISS website||
20th November, 2018
|Acceptance of filled in application forms including submission of essays on topics described in application form.||
31st January, 2019
|Last date for submission of application forms along with completed essays||31st January, 2019|
|Shortlist of candidates||
10th February, 2019
|Announcement of list of selected candidates in web site||
20th February, 2019
|Payment of I Semester Fees||
31st March, 2019
|First Module Workshop – Contact Classes in TISS Mumbai campus||
Specific Dates will be intimated later.
Dr V. Suresh, Director, 9444231497. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For official website, click here.