Prayas a field action project of the Centre for Criminology and Justice, School of Social Work, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, initiated in 1990 invites applications from interested and motivated candidates for the post a Researcher purely on a contractual basis for a temporary period, for a study on family contact of prisoners across three to four states.
Prayas has developed its focus on service delivery, networking, training, research and documentation, and policy change with respect to custodial/institutional rights and rehabilitation of socio economically vulnerable individuals and groups.
Prayas objective is social work intervention within the Criminal Justice System with the aim of preventing further criminalization and victimization of persons who have become involved in crime or prostitution.
Duration of Appointment
07 months, starting August 01, 2019.
The post is based in Mumbai. However, the researcher would be expected to travel to Delhi, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and Gujarat for data collection.
- Master’s degree in Social Work preferred.
- Excellent skills in written English, knowledge of spoken Hindi essential, and knowledge of spoken Marathi preferred.
- Past experience in research and/or documentation, experience in qualitative research preferred.
- Preference to be given to persons with prior experience of research and documentation in the field of criminal justice.
- Ability to work effectively in teams as well as independently.
- During the contract period, no other employees shall be taken without the prior permission of the employer.
- The candidate should be willing to start working immediately (by August 1, 2019).
1. The selected candidate will perform a range of tasks under the guidance of Social workers of Prayas and the Project Director, Prayas.
2. The selected candidate will be responsible for all components of the research process (proposal writing, developing tools for data collection, data collection and analysis, maintaining data and compilation of the policies and rules for family contact of prisoners available in Prison Manuals, documents & circulars, drafting the interim and final reports,
administrative and other tasks necessary for the project).
Maximum 35 years (This criterion could be relaxed at the discretion of the selection committee). The above requirements may be relaxed in exceptional circumstances.
Rs 30,000/- per month.
How to Apply
Interested applications please mail your CV to Director prayascop.rnd[at]gmail.com.
July 21, 2019.