The School of Media and Cultural Studies for its Centre for Critical Media Praxis in the Mumbai campus invites application for the One post of Assistant Professor to be filled on a contract basis, for a period till 31 March 2021.
The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) was established in 1936 and was awarded the ‘deemed to be university’ status in 1964. TISS is fully funded by the University Grants Commission, Government of India, and operates from its main campus in Mumbai, and the off-campuses at Tuljapur, Guwahati, and Hyderabad.
Currently, the Institute offers 52 Masters’ Degree programs and 18 M. Phil. and Ph. D. programs in a range of socially relevant interdisciplinary areas of Social Work, Social Sciences, Education, Public Policy, Public Health, Human Resource Management, Labour Studies, Media and Culture, Applied Psychology, Disaster Studies, and Habitat Studies.
- A Master’s degree with 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in a point-scale wherever the grading system is followed) in Humanities and Social Sciences or Media and Cultural Studies and allied fields from an Indian University, or an equivalent degree from an accredited foreign university.
- Besides fulfilling the above qualifications, the candidate must have cleared the National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the UGC or the CSIR, or a similar test accredited by the UGC, like SLET/ SET or who are or have been awarded a Ph. D. degree in accordance with the University Grants Commission (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of M.Phil./ Ph.D.
- Provided, the candidates registered for the Ph.D. programme prior to July 11, 2009, shall be governed by the provisions of the then existing Ordinances/ Bye-laws/ Regulations of the Institution awarding the degree and such Ph.D. candidates shall be exempted from the requirement of NET/ SLET/ SET for recruitment and appointment of ‘Assistant Professor’.
- Research and published work in the fields of media and cultural studies. Scholarship in the areas of cyber cultures, digital humanities, internet cultures would be particularly appreciated.
- Experience of research or teaching in the broad fields of humanities and social sciences is required.
- The incumbent will be required to teach courses in media and cultural studies as well as be involved in documentary/ video/ film production as a supervisor to student films.
- Experience in documentary/ video/ film production would be desirable.
Consolidated salary of Rs. 71952/- p.m. (Pay Band Rs. 15600 – 39100 ; AGP Rs. 6000/-) in 6th CPC as approved by the funder.
How to Apply?
To apply online for the position, click here.
The application fee of Rs. 1000/- be paid on-line. The application fee for SC/ ST/ PWD candidates will be Rs. 250/- if they attach the required certificate to the online application form. The women applicants are waived from the payment of application fees. The application will be valid only on receipt of the application fee, if applicable. Fees once paid shall not be refunded under any circumstances.
The Institute reserves the right to relax qualifications of the candidate based on the work experience and to relax age in the case of persons already holding comparable positions in a University/ Research Institution of repute.
For full notification, click the link below.