About The Open Technology Fund
The Open Technology Fund (OTF) is an independent non-profit organization committed to advancing global Internet freedom. OTF supports projects focused on counteracting repressive censorship and surveillance, enabling citizens worldwide to exercise their fundamental human rights online.
Through the research, development, implementation, and sustainability of technologies that facilitate the free flow of information, increase at-risk users’ digital security, and enable free expression, the OTF community is working to shape the Internet as a platform that fosters unimpeded connection and collaboration – facilitating positive social progress and reinforcing core democratic values.
About The Rapid Response Fund
The Rapid Response Fund aims to facilitate the digital emergency response community to resolve threats in a timely and comprehensive manner for individuals, communities, and organizations whose free expression has recently been repressed. To resolve digital emergencies, OTF offers both direct financial support as well as technical services from trusted partners to high-risk people and organizations, such as bloggers, cyber activists, journalists, and human rights defenders.
Currently supported services
- Digital security audits for organizations
- Urgent risk mitigation for organizations
- Rapid assessment and crisis response planning for organizations
- DDoS response and mitigation
- Secure web hosting
- Secure hosting, monitoring, and resiliency of websites during special events (elections, campaigns etc.)
- VPN connections
- Safe Internet connections
- Forensic analysis of digital attacks
- Recovery of compromised websites
- Audit of presumably compromised websites
- Malware analysis
- Quality of project idea: When applying for direct funding, applications should exhibit originality, substance, precision, and relevance to the mission of promoting freedoms of expression, assembly, and association online. Ability to achieve objectives: A relevant work plan should demonstrate substantive undertakings and logistical capacity of the organization. The work plan should adhere to the program overview and guidelines described above. Objectives should be ambitious, yet specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound. For complete scopes of work, applicants will have to provide a monthly timeline of project activities.
- Multiplier effect/sustainability: Proposed programs should address how the expected results will contribute to improving Internet freedom goals.
- Applicant’s record and capacity OTF will consider the past performance of prior recipients and the demonstrated potential of new applicants.
Submissions are viewable by the OTF team and advisory council for evaluation and acceptance. To this end, all Rapid Response requests are reviewed and approved by RFA’s President, legal counsel, budget officer, and OTF to assess the project’s necessity, appropriateness, risk, legality, and contractual structure. Though we cannot guarantee absolute secrecy of information disclosed, we seek to avoid disclosure of sensitive information beyond the Advisory Council and OTF team. We strive to assess and approve Rapid Response applications as quickly as possible, and make every effort to make a decision within 5 days.
Any organization or person within OTF’s remit who requires urgent assistance related to a digital emergency can apply to the Rapid Response Fund through the request form provided below. The total value of support cannot exceed 50,000 USD. Average support amounts are between 5,000 and 25,000 USD (3.5 to 18.5 Lakh INR).
Monitoring and Evaluation
Recognizing that digital emergencies and response to those emergencies are unique to each situation, we individually tailor monitoring and evaluation of these efforts. M&E can include a periodic report on the successes/shortfalls of the support, a report back upon completion of support, or some other appropriate method of communication.
Application requirements, submission, and deadlines
- OTF accepts applications on a rolling basis.
- See the application below. Before completing a submission, we strongly encourage you to review our Terms of Service. If you have any questions at all, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do not let the below scare you away. Consider them as a starting point for discussion, and always apply. If you have any concerns, please contact us directly at email@example.com. That said, individuals should meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for funding:
- Individuals of all ages irrespective of nationality, creed or sex;
- Individuals who demonstrate skill and ability to conduct rapid response work;
- Individuals who have intimate knowledge of the communities they are working with, and the digital threats they experience.
The Fund is not able to support applicants within countries that the United States has trade restrictions or export sanctions as determined by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC);
All payments will be made in U.S. dollars (USD) and will comply with local laws, regulations and ethics rules. Each applicant is responsible for the tax consequences of any support they receive, as determined by the laws of their country.
It is each individual and organization’s sole responsibility to comply with any policies any pre-existing employer, etc. may have that would affect your eligibility to receive support from OTF.
How to Apply?
To apply for this fund, click on this link.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
To know more about the Fund, click on the link below: