Mehta Fellowships to PROMYS are available again in 2021 for students in India, as they have been since 2015. The Tara and Jasubhai Mehta Fellowships to PROMYS are full scholarships for mathematically talented students in India who could not attend PROMYS without financial assistance.
Eligibility for a Mehta Fellowship
- Age 14 to 18 at the start of PROMYS;
- At school in India and/or citizen of India (or OCI card holder);
- Student at high school/secondary school in grades 9 – 12 (9th or 10th standard, +1, +2, or PUC) when applying. Sixth form college and home-schooled students are also eligible. Students who are already attending university are not eligible;
- In need of financial assistance to attend PROMYS;
- Proficient in English: Able to participate fully in mathematical discussions held in English.
Finalists for the Mehta Fellowships are interviewed by Skype, WhatsApp or telephone.
PROMYS India 2022
PROMYS India was looking forward to welcoming mathematically talented students and counsellors from across India for six weeks of challenging mathematical exploration at Ashoka University. Postponement is a great disappointment, but health and safety have to be the top priority. PROMYS looks forward eagerly to the launch of PROMYS India in 2022.
PROMYS India is an offshoot PROMYS program for students in India. It is closely modeled on PROMYS at Boston University. Full scholarships will be awarded to all PROMYS India students for at least the first summer. The hope is that participation in the new program will remain free long-term. The Director of PROMYS India is Professor Ila Varma (University of Toronto) who has experienced PROMYS in multiple roles including student, counselor, Head Counselor, research mentor, guest lecturer, interviewer of Mehta Fellowship Finalists, and PROMYS Foundation Trustee.
Three forms need to be submitted: The application form (which includes the upload of a school mark sheet and solutions to the application problem set), the Mehta Fellowship teacher recommendation form, and the Mehta Fellowship financial form. Please give yourself plenty of time to work on the application problems and to write up your solutions.
Students who applied to PROMYS India 2020 will have been emailed with instructions for how they may reuse some of their 2020 application materials in their applications to PROMYS 2021.
To be submitted by the Applicant
1) Application Problem Set. The application problem set can be downloaded HERE. You will be asked to upload your solutions (as a single PDF no larger than 10 MB) when you are completing your online PROMYS Application. If you are handwriting your solutions, please use dark ink and wide margins so a scan of your work will be legible. Please do not send a photo/JPEG of your solutions since we are generally unable to read these.
2) School Transcript or Report Card. You will be asked to upload your school report (as a PDF) when you are completing your online PROMYS Application. (We are not able to process transcripts which are labeled “Secure.” If your transcript is in this encrypted format, please send us a scan or screen shot as a PDF.)
3) PROMYS Application. Towards the end of the application, you will be asked to state that you are applying for a Mehta Fellowship. You will also be asked to upload your solutions to the application problems and your school transcript;
To be submitted by the Applicant’s Mathematics Teacher
4) Mehta Teacher Recommendation Form to be completed by the applicant’s mathematics teacher, mathematics coach, or mathematics mentor.
- Mehta applicants should submit the Mehta Teacher Recommendation Form above, not the regular PROMYS Teacher Recommendation Form on the Student Application page; and
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ask his or her recommendation writer to submit the Yongren Teacher Recommendation Form. PROMYS will not be contacting your teacher. Follow up with your teacher to ensure the recommendation is submitted by the application deadline of March 30. The recommendation form can be submitted before or after the student’s application has been submitted.
To be submitted by the Applicant’s Parent or Guardian
5) Mehta Fellowship Financial Form to be completed by the applicant’s parent or guardian (not the PROMYS Financial Aid Application on the Student Application page which is for U.S. students). The form will require proof of income to be uploaded. The financial form can be submitted before or after the student’s application has been submitted.
March 30, 2021
Julia Rolnick (email@example.com)
For more details, click the link below.