Applications are invited for Summer School 2022 for Faculty and Doctoral Students of Finance & Accounting at IIM Calcutta. The last date of application is 15 March 2022.
About Summer School 2022
The Financial Research and Trading Laboratory (FRTL) of IIM Calcutta will organize the 7th Summer School on Empirical Finance and Accounting Research. This eleven-day program will have two components:
- 10-day online/offline sessions (hybrid mode) during May 1 – 10, 2022; and
- 1-day online presentations on June 11, 2022.
During these 10-days, participants will get exposure to scholarly research topics and papers from prestigious journals in Accounting, Finance, and Governance fields. These papers are carefully chosen by faculty experts and contain the following two features:
- talk about interesting research problems and focus on strong methodology; and
- replicable empirical findings.
A team of eminent faculty will guide participants to walk through scholarly papers and understand the art of writing high-quality scholarly articles and, in the process, learn appropriate research methods.
The tutorials on Econometrics are an integral part of the summer school to help participants learn relevant statistical methods and techniques commonly used in research in Accounting, Finance, and Governance.
Faculty members and doctoral students in the area of Finance, Accounting, and Corporate Governance are eligible to register for summer school. We may also consider candidates who are keen to pursue doctoral studies or research in the future. As there are limited seats, preference will be given in the order of applications received.
Each participant will have the following takeaways:
- Understand how to position a theme and identify valid research questions
- Learn several methodological issues and research topics
- Empirically test hypotheses of a paper
- Learn the art of writing and publishing a paper
The summer school will comprise of five segments:
- Applied Econometrics relevant to Accounting, Finance, & Governance research
- Art of Literature Review, Writing, & Publishing Papers
- Focus Areas
- Finance (Corporate Finance, Market Microstructure, and Asset Pricing)
- Accounting (Financial Reporting, Earnings Management, and Tax Research)
- Corporate Governance (CEO Compensation, Business Groups, and Auditing)
- Project Work
- Project Presentation on Zoom
- Paper Writing & Submission
Persons who meet the criteria are requested to apply within 15 March 2022 midnight by email to asstmgr_finlab[at]iimcal.ac.in.
Applications should mention research interest, the choice of one/two focus areas for the research project, and also include a 2-page pdf version of their CV, which includes the name/venue/year of the conferences they have presented scholarly papers, their scholarly publications and pipeline (scholarly papers that are completed but yet to be published).
The application fee (non-refundable) for each candidate is Rs.1000 + bank charges (if the amount is paid by Credit card/ Debit card/ Net banking). For candidates selected for summer school, the application fee of Rs.1,000 will be adjusted against the registration fee.
Admission will be on a rolling basis. Selected candidates will be informed within 7-days of their application, and within 7-days of their selection they must register and pay registration fee.
- Each participant will pursue a project in one of the three focus areas
- Each participant will communicate in advance his/her choice of one/two focus areas, two research questions, and a one-page write up on each of these research questions
- By May 5, participants will choose a research question for their team project (under the guidance of their faculty mentor).
- Teams will do the project and write a full paper
- Within 30 days of the session completion (Saturday, June 11, 2022), teams will submit an interim draft and make an online presentation to receive feedback/suggestions on their work. They will incorporate the feedback/suggestions in their paper.
- Within 30 days of the presentation, teams will submit the first draft of a complete manuscript for review purpose.
Click here to view the official notification of Summer School 2022 for Faculty and Doctoral Students of Finance & Accounting at IIM Calcutta.
You may also be interested in: