About the Fellowship
Applications are invited for the Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship 2020. Mongabay.org offers an exciting fellowship opportunity. This opportunity primarily involves writing stories that cover conservation technology-related research for our affiliated news site – Mongabay.com.
The fellow will have the opportunity to develop their writing skills and have their news stories be published on our renowned website which boasts over two million global readers every month. This is a part-time, six-month opportunity supported by a special fund created in the memory of Sue Palminteri.
With this program, Mongabay is developing a fellowship in Sue’s name that would honor her interest in conservation, technology, and journalism by providing opportunities for students and new journalists to gain experience in conservation technology and writing.
The application process is competitive and we will select one fellow for the term. Below is a list of traits they look for when selecting individuals for their fellowship program:
- Excellent communication skills
- Passionate about environmental subjects
- Positive attitude
- Coachable and open to learning
- Strong values – personally and professionally
- Problem-solving skills
- Interest in conservation technology
- This is a part-time program. The Fellow will be working virtually (at home or wherever they feel most productive) with set deadlines to be met.
- They are flexible on how many hours per week the fellow is able to work. Some weeks could require more hours than others depending on the editorial stage of each assignment; their Fellow has to be flexible and plan accordingly.
Reporting Fellow will receive a $5,000 honorarium for the duration of the program.
- Publishing experience in a high-profile news outlet
- Learning about journalistic programs and processes at Mongabay
- Becoming part of a community of passionate and talented writers
- Coaching and support:
- Meet and greet training session via Skype and Q&A with Mongabay staff
- Working with different editors and receiving guidance and feedback
- Developing writing skills
- Developing interviewing skills
- Resume building
- Mongabay letters of reference and personal recommendations
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the fellowship through this link.
June 5, 2020
For further details, click here.