Anyone who loves to write can participate in the Stories For Survival Competition 2021 by Explorers Against Extinction let’s help to make a stand against extinction.
About the Competition
Stories For Survival Competition by Explorers Against Extinction a free-to-enter travel writing competition offers amateur writers the chance to have their work published in our online Library and shared widely within the Explorers Against Extinction community. There are three categories depending on age to enter the competition.
Topic for the Competition
A World Without…
The winning pieces will be recorded and be available online to download. The winning authors will each receive a trophy and £100 in book vouchers. They will be their guests at our autumn event at the Royal Geographic Society in London.
Who can Enter?
- The competition is open to writers worldwide, except for employees of the Real World Conservation Trust, their immediate families, agents, or anyone else associated with the administration of this competition.
- There are 3 categories depending on your age:
- 12 years and under
- Teens (13-19 years)
- Adults (20 years+)
- Travel writing can take many forms, for example, an informative newspaper article, essay, journal, blog, autobiography, or a creative piece such as a poem or longer first-person narrative about a journey or place. All forms of writing are accepted if they meet the criteria set out.
- Your entry must be an original piece of travel writing by you and be inspired by the theme.
- The maximum length of your piece depends on the category you are entering. Please see the minimum and maximum word limits below:
- 12 years and under: 30 – 300 words
- Teens 13 – 19 years: 250 – 500 words
- Adults 20 years+: 300 – 1,000 words
- If you are submitting poetry the minimum word limit will not apply.
Benefits of Participating
By submitting a story, you will be helping to make a stand against extinction. You will help us to raise awareness about threats facing wildlife and wild spaces. The Library will be used in our Campaigns & Events.
All stories will be published in our online library with the winning entry receiving further profile.
The competiton will be judged by Head Judge- Jeremy Lazell. Other Judges will be John Summerton, Robert Ferguson, Sara White.
After the submission deadline, all pieces will be read by our panel, and a short-list of 3-5 selected in each category. The short-list will be announced on 31st October 2021.
After a further selection process, the winner in each category will be chosen. The winners will be announced at the Royal Geographical Society on Thursday 18th November (provisional date).
How to Apply?
- To enter, email your entry at writing[at]realworldconservation.org.uk
- In the Subject Line type the category you are entering: Child/Teen/Adult
- The title and entry should be pasted into the main body of the email.
- Beneath this put your full name, confirm your contact email address and provide a telephone number.
- You will receive an automatic response when your submission is successfully received.
- If you are a teacher wishing to enter students in the competition visit the official link below for more details.
Others Terms and Conditions
- There is one prize per category.
- The winners will be announced at the Explorers Awards Evening at the Royal Geographical Society, London on Thursday 18th November 2021. All shortlisted writers in the three categories will be given 2 VIP tickets to attend the evening.
- Entries limited to one per person.
- There is no alternative to the prize offered and the prizes are non-transferable.
- Submission Deadline: June 30, 2021
- Shortlist candidates: 31st October 2021
- Winners: November 18, 2021
Click here to view the official notification for the Stories For Survival Competition by Explorers Against Extinction
- eRaksha Competition 2021 by NCERT & CyberPeace Foundation: Register by July 25
- Braun Prize Competition 2021- Shape Tomorrow [Prize upto 7k]: Submit by Aug 31