The Start-up Research Grant (SRG) scheme aims to assist researchers to initiate their research career in a new institution. It is a two-year grant meant to enable researchers working in frontier areas of science and engineering to establish themselves and move on to the mainstream core research grant (CRG). Criteria for selection would be based on the track record of the applicant and the proposed research plan.
- The applicant should be an Indian citizen. Foreign Nationals (including PIO, OCI) working as regular employee in any of the public funded and recognized R&D laboratories/institutions in India are eligible to apply as PI in collaboration with an Indian Co-PI, provided they fulfill the eligibility criteria notified by SERB (SERB Funding Guidelines for foreign nationals dt. 27 Oct 2016).
- The applicant should hold Ph.D. degree in Science or Engineering or M.D. / M.S. / M.D.S. / M.V.Sc. degree.
- The applicant must hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized academic institution or national laboratories or any other recognized R&D institutions.
[The term “Regular” refers to:
(1) Those who are appointed by the institutions against the ‘sanctioned’ post. Such positions are regularized/confirmed after the probation period is over
(2) Those who are appointed in a tenure post, but are likely to be renewed after the end of the tenure].
- The applicant is eligible to apply within two years of joining the institution.
- The upper age limit for SRG would be 42 years, with a relaxation of three years for SC/ST/OBC/ Physically challenged and women candidates.
- INSPIRE Faculty, Ramanujan and Ramalingaswamy Fellows, Faculties recruited through UGC Faculty Recharge Program are not eligible under SRG.
- Research Associates, Postdoctoral Fellows, Ad-hoc faculty, Guest faculty, Visiting Scientist, Consultant, Project Fellows and faculty members whose contract is renewed every year are not eligible under SRG. In respect of casesthat are not mentioned above, SERB reserves the right to determine the eligibility.
- Co-PIs are not allowed except in case of foreign nationals.
- The applicant should not have received YSS, ECR, CRG (erstwhile EMR) or any other grant of SERB.
Duration & Amount
- Research grant of Rs. 30 lakh plus overheads for a period of two years.
- The research grant will cover equipment, manpower, consumables, travel and contingency apart from overheads. There is a standard cap for travel, contingency and overheads. Applicant has the flexibility to propose budget under various heads as per requirement.
- SRG would be a one-time career grant.
- Maximum number of grants awarded per year would be 500 across all subject areas.
How to apply?
For online submission of the application the following points may be noted:
- Applicants should first register in SERB online portal click here to register
- After log-in, applicants are required to fill all the mandatory fields in Profile Detail section under User Profile, which includes Bio data, photo, Institute Address, etc.
- Some of the details of proposal like Project Title (max 500 characters), Project summary (max 3000 characters), Keywords (max 6), Objectives of project (max 1500 characters), Expected output and outcome of the proposal (max 1500 characters), Budget (Manpower, Consumables, Travel, Equipment, Contingency, Overheads ) have to be entered at the time of proposal submission.
- Other relevant information of the proposal has to be uploaded as a single PDF file, not more than 10 MB, as technical document (TD).