About the Fellowship
SPARSH is the social innovation program of BIRAC aimed towards finding innovative solutions to society’s most pressing social problems through biotechnological intervention.
SIIP (Social Innovation Immersion Program), a component of SPARSH scheme, is BIRAC’s social Innovation fellowship/award program aimed at creating a pool of biotech “Social Innovators” who could identify the needs & gaps within communities and then can help bridge the gaps either through innovative product development or services. The Program is implemented through SPARSH Centres.
The immersion program is a unique social Innovation platform which provides an opportunity for clinical and rural immersion and also funding support for developing the prototype through mini kick start grant apart from the monthly fellowship to young social Innovators.
The Fellows will be stationed at one of the SPARSH Centre who would provide all the requisite support to the Social Innovators in following thematic areas:
- Maternal and Child Health
- Ageing and Health
- Food and Nutrition
- Waste to Value
- Combating environmental pollution
- The Social Innovation Fellowship is a prestigious award which will be provided to only Indian Citizen.
- Indian undergraduate (B.Tech, BE, MBBS) or postgraduate (MSc, MS, M.Tech, MPhil, MD) & PhD below 35 years from fields of life sciences, Agriculture, Engineering, Medicine & human biology are eligible to apply.
Selected Fellows would be designated as ‘SPARSH Social Innovators/ SPARSH Fellows’ who would receive a fellowship from BIRAC (amounting to INR 50,000/month for 18 months) and a onetime mini-kick start grant of INR 5 lakhs per fellow which will be provided during the course of the fellowship.
Operational Elements & Work Plan
The overall administrative responsibility of the Social Innovation Immersion would rest on the partnering organization which would implement the program. The partner can select a particular theme from the bucket of themes provided by BIRAC.
SPARSH Centre can recruit 5 SPARSH fellows under a particular theme. A total number of Social Innovators at a time at a centre should not increase 10. The 18 months fellowship will start from Pre-Immersion orientation and Induction phase. The workflow would be as follows:
- Recruitment & Selection of Social Innovator Fellows
- Pre-Immersion orientation & Induction
- Immersion Program
- Post Immersion Filtration
- Product Design, Prototyping and Delivery Mechanism
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can register for the fellowship through this link.
Jan 15, 2020
Sr. Manager: Sonia Gandhi