MurthyNAYAK Foundation & Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts and Communications (SACAC) invites project proposals from eligible candidates for the Social Documentary Photography Grant 2019.
About the Grant:
It is paramount for all of us as world citizens to spur into action and create work that reflects our concerns. With this objective in mind, The MurthyNAYAK Foundation (MNF) in association with SACAC is initiating a grant of INR 2,00,000 to be given to a South Asian Photographer under the age of 35 years working on a socially relevant theme.
Some of the possible concerns for submissions to this grant could be environmental/ ecological disasters, political and religious conflict, socio-economic disparity, agrarian distress, gender & LGBTQ issues, displacement, migration, etc. The grant will be given to further ongoing projects.
The grant recipient must agree to complete the project within 12 months of receiving the first installment of the grant. The grant will be provided in installments, based on the submission of a budget.
- The award is open to photographers under the age of 35 years from India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Bhutan, Afghanistan, Nepal, and Maldives.
- Awards are for ongoing projects and not completed bodies of work.
- Applicants must not hold any other fellowship/grant for the proposed project when applying.
- The grant money has to be utilized in making the work and production of the exhibition.
How to Apply?
Project Statement & Biography:
- The Artist Statement should not exceed 500 words. In this, the applicant should articulate their intentions and define the scope and reach of the project.
- Applicant should clearly mention the stage their project has reached and why it needs financial support to conclude it.
- The applicant must mention the exposure if at all, this project has received across social media platforms and online magazines.
- Please submit a biography of 100-150 words in a separate document.
- Also, submit 3 copies each of the artist statement & the biography.
- All written documents must be submitted in typed format (not handwritten) on A4 sheets of paper.
Photographic Prints with Captions/Titles
- Applicants must demonstrate evidence of their photographic ability by submitting 10 to 15 photographic prints, 12 inches on the longer side.
- The photographic prints must be from the project for which the application is made. Submission of any other prints will make the grant application ineligible.
- Applicants must submit a separate document that contains the following information about each image: caption/title, location, date.
- The photographic prints must be labeled using a sticker on the reverse. The labels must carry the following information: Name of applicant; Working Title of Project; Caption/Title of Photographic Print; Location; Date; Serial number/Order of sequence.
To be noted for all those who want their work to be sent back to them:
Please send us a self-addressed envelope with your submission with return postage. This is needed in case you wish to receive your work submitted back to you via post.
- Please send the application form and all submissions to:
Department of Photography, Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts (SACAC)
Sri Aurobindo Society Campus,
Shaheed Jeet Singh Marg,
Adchini, New Delhi 110017
- August 15, 2019: Deadline for submission of the project proposal.
- September 2019: The Jury, reviews the proposals and the awardee is announced.
- October 2019 –September 2020: The awardee is given a year to take her/his project forward. During this time period, the awardee will have regular reviews to evaluate her/his progress.
- October 2020- The awardee submits a final set of twenty photographs.