One fellowship is awarded annually by the SOAS South Asia Institute (SSAI) and the Charles Wallace India Trust to a scholar who has had no, or little opportunity, to conduct research outside India. The 3 month placement at SOAS, University of London should be taken predominantly during term-time (March–June).
Who is Eligible?
- Applicants must be Indian nationals and be residing in India at the time the application is submitted.
- Applicants must have completed a PhD and must be working in the fields of ‘India Studies’ (Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences) which are supported at SOAS. For a list of subjects please check the Taught Masters programmes on the SOAS website.
- Applicants may not hold the Fellowship for the purpose of, or in conjunction with, enrolment in any Higher Educational Institution in the United Kingdom (including SOAS).
- Applicants must be in the early to middle stage of their academic careers.
- Candidates must demonstrate sufficient English language ability, both written and spoken, to participate in discussions and use resource materials.
- Applicants must state if they are in receipt of any other grant, or are awaiting results of other applications. Failure to do so may result in the fellowship being withdrawn.
The 3 month visiting Fellowship is intended:
- To contribute actively to the Institute’s research environment;
- To provide SSAI members and research students with the opportunity to work with leading academics from outside SOAS;
- To develop and promote links with academic institutions in India; and
- To offer academics from India the opportunity to collaborate in joint research with SSAI colleagues.
Closing date for applications: 15 September 2017
A complete application will comprise:
- The application form duly filled in (including Section 12, list of your Publications and Section 16, a Description of your Proposed Research including an explanation of why SOAS in particular is an appropriate venue for you to pursue this research).
- Two letters of recommendation.
All material must be submitted electronically and sent to email@example.com.
The School may wish to interview the top three shortlisted candidates via Skype. Further details will be sent to the shortlisted candidates after the closing date.