Applications are now invited from innovative and creative thinkers for the Shuttleworth Foundation Fellowship 2021.
The Shuttleworth Foundation offers fellowships to individuals to implement their innovative idea for social change. We are most interested in exceptional ideas at the intersection between technology, knowledge, and learning, with openness being the key requirement.
They invite individuals with a fresh approach to solving a social challenge, using openness, to apply to our Fellowship Program.
They do not have a list of topics we are interested in funding or a call for proposals around a specific theme. They have a sense of what critical problems could be addressed in the world. But an important part of the openness we practice is being open to ideas.
- Open education: creating open educational materials; building platforms to hold and share materials; establishing pathways for delivery and experimenting with sustainability and access models for effectively integrating open educational resources into formal education systems.
- Open government: encouraging and enabling open government data; establishing the veracity of public statements; building systems and process for more effective citizen/ government engagement; and supporting citizen-led campaigns addressing important governance issues, especially around digital rights.
- Open science: experimenting with alternative approaches to advancing science and its impact on society by revolutionizing scholarly communications and inviting citizen participation, rooted in openness.
- Telecommunications: addressing access and affordability by experimenting with mesh phone networks using both traditional and mobile handsets, establishing community-owned and operated mobile phone networks (including the necessary policy, regulation, and sustainability work) and combating spectrum congestion by using laser-enabled data transfer.
- Health care: building affordable, easily reproducible, high quality open medical devices supported by the process for designing, manufacturing, quality-assuring, distributing, and using these devices effectively; assessing and mitigating the negative impact patent systems have on access to medicines.
- Cultural expression: exploring web-enabled mechanisms to express culture – represented by music and history -more freely, widely and openly, for the benefit of marginalized groups and society as a whole.
- Anyone can become a Shuttleworth Fellow.
- You do not have to have any specific level of education, or you could have a Ph.D.
- You do not have to have years of experience in the workplace or be an up and coming millennial.
- You do not have to be from any specific geography or nationality, you should just be able to communicate fluently in English.
- You do not have to have an organization, but you can if you want to, and it can be for or not for profit.
- You do not have to be of any specific gender.
- You do not even have to be building software.
How to Apply?
A completed application comprises:
- The (completed & submitted) application form.
- Your 5-minute application video (public or private).
- Your up to date resume.
To apply online, click here. The last date to apply is November 3, 2020.
For full notification, click the link below.
You might also be interested in Woodrow Wilson International Center Fellowship Program 2021 [Annual Stipend Upto Rs. 67L]: Apply by Oct 1.
Acumen Fellowship 2021 for Emerging Leaders & Entrepreneurs: Apply by Aug 8.
Ted Fellows Program 2020: Apply by Aug 24