Applications are invited for the Sheikh Zayed Book Award 2022 for Outstanding Writers.
The Sheikh Zayed Book Award commemorates the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, Founding President of the UAE and Ruler of Abu Dhabi, and his pioneering role in promoting national unity and development.
The Award, and its associated accolades, are presented annually to outstanding writers, intellectuals, and publishers, as well as young talent whose writing and translation in humanities objectively enriches Arab intellectual, cultural, literary and social life.
The Sheikh Zayed Book award is an independent cultural initiative administered by Department of Culture and Tourism – Abu Dhabi.
- Arabic Culture in Other Languages: Recognizes written works produced in languages other than the Arabic, tackling the Arab civilization and culture, including humanities, fine arts, literature (novels, short stories, poems) and history.
- Children’s Literature: Covers literary, scientific and cultural books addressing various children’s groups and adolescents, whether it is fictional stories or simplified factual historical and scientific narratives, put in an artistic layout.
- Contribution to the Development of Nations: Consists of books in the fields of economics, sociology, management, politics, law and theology that contribute to a nation’s advancement, whether theoretic review or documenting practice.
- Cultural Personality of the Year: Honors a prominent Arab or international figure (or organization) who has contributed to the advancement of the Arabic culture, embodies through his/her work tolerance and promotes peaceful coexistence.
- Literary and Art Criticism: Covers works of criticism in the fields of art, cinema, music, theatrical plays, studies of image, architecture, sculpture, historical ruins, folkloric arts, and history of literature and theories.
- Literature: Represents works across various categories of literature including poetry, short stories, novels, biographies, theatrical plays and other types of arts.
- Publishing and Technology: Includes publishers, distributors, research institutions and cultural institutions, which promote culture through various forms of digital, visual and audio processes.
- Translation: Recognizes translated works, either to or from Arabic, provided it maintains loyalty to original source, linguistic accuracy, and maintaining the context.
- Young Author: Recognizes works in science, literature, culture, fine arts and humanities, in addition to scientific theses that are published, produced by authors younger than 40 years.
Value of the Award
The Sheikh Zayed Book Award comprises a total monetary prize value of seven million UAE dirhams, presented as follows:
- The “Cultural Personality of the Year” winner receives a prize of one million UAE dirhams.
- (750,000 UAE dirhams) granted to the winner in each of the Award’s eight categories.
- A gold medal bearing the Sheikh Zayed Book Award logo as well as a certificate of merit for winners across the Award’s nine categories.
- The Award’s rigorous selection process is supervised by a Board of Trustees and a Scientific Committee.
- Every year, the Scientific Committee appoints a group of distinguished regional and international literary figures as judges who serve on nine separate selection committees, one for each award category.
- There are 3 to 5 judges per category, all of whom remain anonymous to safeguard the independence and integrity of the selection process.
- Each committee reviews all submitted works in a category and submits its selection to the Scientific Committee.
- The Scientific Committee reviews and approves the committees’ selections, which are then officially endorsed by the Board of Trustees which is presided by HE Sheikh Sultan Bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan.
- The winners are announced ahead of the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair, culminating in a prestigious ceremony every year.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the awards nomination through this link.
October 1, 2021