SERB (Science and Engineering Research Board) invites applications for Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship 2021 for PhD Students. The last date of application submission is 1 June 2021.
Application for support to undertake research training during the doctoral research in Overseas Universities on a competitive mode is sought from eligible researchers.
- To build national capacity in frontier areas of Science and Engineering, which are of interest to India by providing research training to PhD students admitted in the Indian institutions in overseas universities/ institutions of repute.
- To provide opportunity to performing Indian research students to gain exposure and access to top-class research facilities in academia and labs in specific Overseas Universities.
- To create opportunities to build long-term R&D linkages and collaborations with accomplished scientists and technologists from around the world.
- To tap the expertise gained by these young scientists to strengthen/initiate national programmes in their domain knowledge.
- The scheme is open to Indian nationals only.
- The applicant should have registered for full-time Ph.D. Degree in any of the recognized Institutions / Universities in India in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (including Medicine, Pharma, Agriculture and related S&T areas) disciplines.
- Part-time and sponsored students are not considered under the Program. Also students who have submitted their thesis for award of the Degree of Ph.D. are not eligible to apply.
Application & Selection
Applications are invited from Ph.D. students to work with Overseas Institutions who had signed an Agreement / MoU with SERB for student mobility.
Applications will be sought annually. The selection would be made among students who obtained an offer letter from overseas institution to carry out research in chosen areas of interest to India. The applicants who intend to undertake research visit to the following Universities to whom SERB had signed MoU should apply directly to the University:
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, USA
Contact Person: Ms. Heidi Arola (harola[at]purdue[dot]edu), Managing Director for Global Partnerships. More Details available on this page.
- University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Contact Person: Ms. Nicole Dewart (uaissp[at]ualberta[dot]ca), Senior Coordinator, Sponsored Student Program
More Details available on this page.
The selected fellows will be paid a monthly fellowship amount equivalent to US $ 2000, one-time Contingency / Preparatory allowances of Rs. 60,000/- to cover visa fee, airport transfer charges, medical insurance etc. The selected fellows will also be provided shortest route economy class air fare from their place of work in India to the place of the host institute and back. Students should make their own arrangement for accommodation etc.
One visit, each by the Indian supervisor to the Overseas Institution where the student is working and overseas faculty to the host Indian Institution of the student during the tenure of the fellowship is also admissible under the Scheme. The following provisions are made for them to undertake research visits:
- Travel: Both the Indian supervisor and overseas scientist will be provided shortest route round-trip economy class air fare not exceeding Rs. 1.5 lakh per round trip from their place of work to the city of host institute and back. Any additional cost would have to be borne by the visitors.
- Per-diem (Subsistence Allowance):
- Contingencies and related travel cost: Allowance of US $ 250 per visit is provided to both Indian Supervisor and Overseas host to cover the expenditure incurred towards visa fees, travel / medical insurance, airport transfers and other contingencies.
Call for Applications will open from 05th April, 2021 till 01st June, 2021.