CfP: Seminar on Rehabilitation of Disabled and Inclusive Development for North East India at Mizoram University [Feb 28-29, 2020]: Submit by Jan 10, 2020
About the Organiser
Mizoram University (MZU) was established on 2nd July 2001 by the Mizoram University Act, 2000 which appeared in the Gazette of India (Extraordinary) on 25th April, 2000 as a Central University having His Excellency, the President of India as its Visitor. The University life in its lush green scenic hill campus is lively and diverse with 50% of the Teaching Staff and 16% of students coming from various parts of the country.
About the Seminar
Disability-related problem is an old issue and a new challenge. The United Nations adopted its convention on the rights of persons with disabilities laying down the principles to be followed by the State parties for the empowerment of persons with disabilities. India also signed the said convention and then notified the same on the 1st day of October 2007. The convention came into effect on the 3rd day of May 2008. Being a signatory to the convention, India has an international obligation to comply with the provisions of the said convention which requires entirely new legislation.
Government of India passed an Act for disabled persons known as the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 which came into effect from 19th April 2017. Now Governments at States and Union Territories are mandated to implement this Act keeping various stakeholders in view.
Despite the increase in the prevalence of disability worldwide, due to various reasons, not much attention has been paid to its evaluation, management and prevention (WHO 2002). The fact sheet in Census 2011 describes that Assam has above 4 lakh disabled people followed by Tripura and Manipur above 50,000 in terms of disability prevalence in North East India. The factors responsible for such encouraging low rate of disabled and the nature of schemes implemented and the type of rehabilitation and resettlement program in North East need to be looked into through detailed deliberation of issues and practices.
The various causes of disability and the risk factors of various types of disabilities need be reviewed. Current schemes, management practices and government policies for disability in particular North East context need to be discussed and attempts shall be made to identify the gaps if any in its knowledge and research. For Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) universal accessibility is critical for enabling them to gain access for equal opportunity and live independently and participate fully in all aspects of life in an inclusive society. There is a need for a status report of researches on the situation of disability in respect of North East India which is long overdue. It is this final entry point that is the principal concern of this avowed conference.
The main aim of the seminar is to develop the conceptual and methodological, theoretical and field-level understanding of the problems and the nature of inclusive development of persons with disability in India in due sociological perspective. Thus, this seminar aims to:
- discuss Concept, Theories and Models relating to Disabled and Inclusive Development
- to deliberate Disabled in North East India Current Trends, Vulnerabilities and Rights Issues
- Socio-economic Status, Health and Rehabilitation of Disabled in NE states
- to evaluate implementation of legal instruments including the role of GOs and NGOs and
- to suggest measures to address their problems by deliberating the Academic Challenges and Policy Prospects.
Accordingly, inauguration and valediction apart, the sessions have been divided to give adequate space to each theme.
- An Abstract of not more than 350 words should be submitted through email attachment on or before January 10, 2020, at Email id: mzusocioseminar[at]gmail.com,
- The full-length paper should also be submitted through email attachment only on or before January 31, 2020, at Email id mzusocioseminar[at]gmail.com
- Abstract submission: January 10, 2020
- Notification of acceptance: January 11, 2020
- Full-length paper submission: January 31, 2020
Convenor: Prof. Rabindra Kumar Mohanty, Dr B Lalzarliana
Email: mzusocioseminar[at[gmail.com, zartea[at]gmail.com
For further details, click here.
About the Author