Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) 2021-22.
About the Scholarship
Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India introduced “Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) in the academic year 2006-2007 for the children of Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs)/ children of Overseas Citizens of India (OCIs) and Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), to assist them in pursuing Under Graduate courses in Indian Universities/Institutes and promote India as a centre of higher studies.
The SPDC was extended to the Children of Indian Workers in 17 Emigration Check Required (ECR) countries (Afghanistan, Bahrain, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Thailand, United Arab Emirates and Yemen) in 2015-16.
No. of Scholarships
- Every year scholarship is provides to 150 selected students, without earmarking NRIs, PIOs and Children of Indian Workers in ECR countries under SPDC. Out of these 150 scholarships, 50 are earmarked for PIOs/OCIs, 50 are earmarked for NRIs and 50 are earmarked for Children of Indian Workers in the 17 ECR countries subject to fulfilling eligibility criteria.
- Out of the 50 scholarships reserved for children of Indian Workers in ECR countries, around 1/3 rd (17) is reserved for children of Indian Workers in ECR countries who are pursuing studies in India, subject to fulfilling eligibility conditions. If, the seats are not filled up in any of the category, they shall be made available to applicants from other categories under SPDC.
SPDC is awarded to the following four categories:
- Children of PIOs/OCIs.
- Children of NRIs.
- Children of Indian Workers in ECR countries studied outside India.
- Children of Indian Workers in ECR countries studied in India.
- Schooling & Qualifying Examination: Children of PIOs/OCIs must have done the six years of schooling from 07th to 12th from selected 69 countries and the children of Indian workers in 17 ECR countries who are studied abroad must have done the three years of schooling from 10th to 12th standard from selected 69 countries & the children of Indian workers in 17 ECR countries who are studied in India must have cleared the Senior Secondary (10+2) or equivalent examination from a system of education recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), with requisite subjects. Children of Indians residing in Nepal has required to be done at least four years of schooling including two years of classes XI & XII in Nepal just prior to apply.
- Minimum Marks in qualifying Examination: The candidate must have secured a minimum of 60% aggregate marks or equivalent grades in aggregate of all the subjects in the qualifying examination.
- Subjects of Study in Qualifying Examination: The candidate must have studied the prescribed essential subjects at the qualifying examination level to pursue a particular course of study.
The SPDC is open to the applicants in the age group of 17 to 21 years as on 31st July 2021. Date of birth as recorded in the Secondary Education Board/University Certificate of Class 10th or equivalent, or as mentioned in a certificate for this purpose issued by appropriate Government authorities of respective countries will be taken as authentic for this purpose.
- In the First Year: Partial financial assistance to the extent of 75% of the total Institutional Economic Cost (IEC) subject to a maximum of US $ Four Thousand (US$ 4,000) per annum whichever is less would be made by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India to the applicants selected for the SPDC scheme. IEC includes Tuition fee, Hostel fee & other institutional charges. (Food charges are excluded).
- For Second and Subsequent Years: The parameters for continuation of scholarship to selected applicants for the second and subsequent years of study w.e.f. Academic Year 2022-23, are as follows:
- Students securing 50% and above marks in aggregate in an academic year with clear pass marks in all subjects of study, would be eligible to receive the maximum admissible scholarship i.e. 75% of IEC or US$ Four Thousand (US$ 4,000) in the following year of study.
- Students, who secure less than 50% marks in aggregate in an academic year and have obtained clear pass marks in all subjects of study, would be eligible to receive 90% of the scholarship admissible under paragraph 7(i) above, in the following year of study.
- Students, who could not secure clear pass marks in all subjects but have been promoted by the Institute/University to the next academic year, would be eligible to receive 50% of the scholarship admissible under paragraph 7(i) above in the following year of study
- Students, who have not been promoted to the next academic year, would not be eligible for grant of any further scholarship.
- The students who have been getting scholarship from previous will be administered scholarship as per their respective guidelines. Existing beneficiaries shall continue to get the scholarships till the completion of their courses, if otherwise eligible.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the scholarship through this link.
Nov 30, 2021
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Click here to view the official notification for the Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) 2021-22
More such opportunities that you might be interested in: