The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) under the aegis of the National Supercomputing Mission (NSM), a Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) and Department of Science & Technology (DST) initiative, in association with NVIDIA & OpenACC, announces the SAMHAR-COVID19 Hackathon.
Pandemic outbreak such as Coronavirus outbreak can create huge challenges for the Government and Public Health Officials to gather information quickly and coordinate a response. In such a situation, Artificial Intelligence (AI) can play a huge role in predicting, minimizing and stalling its spread of the virus.
The problems related to COVID19 that will be solved during this Hackathon are as follows:
- Drug Discovery and Genome Sequencing: Human Genome is complex and has 3.2 billion base pairs. India became the fifth country in the world to sequence the genome of the novel Coronavirus, or COVID19, and share its data with the international community. Genome data is essential to build tests, find drugs and vaccines.
- Medical Imaging: AI has proven accuracy to detect patterns from Images. Healthcare images like CT provide crucial information and can be used to detect the Corona Virus.
- Contactless Monitoring: To Explore Contactless monitoring of the outbreak, to explore the usage of drones to help medical staff to transport medical samples and to conduct thermal imaging.
- Surveillance and Monitoring: Use of Computer Vision Techniques to automate monitoring crowd gathering or tracking possible carriers by looking at patterns like sneezing etc.
- Forecasting: Predict the cumulative number of confirmed COVID19 cases in various locations across India, as well as the number of resulting fatalities using various datasets from the states and union territories of India combined with Big-Data information available from Social Media.
- Data Mining: There are more than 44000 research articles on COVID19 already published and the numbers are growing. Use of AI and data analytics techniques to come out with solutions to help the medical community to analyze news reports and online content from around the world to recognize anomalies and predict critical events.
In Round-1, the top 25 Innovative Implementable Ideas will be selected by an Eminent Jury comprising of eminent scientists and domain experts.
In Round-2, the participants will be provided with:
- Compute Infrastructure: Access to PARAM Series of Supercomputing facility established under NSM (PARAM-Shivay, PARAM-Brahma, and PARAM-Shrishti including PARAM-Shrestha and PARAM-Sangam) and to the latest NVIDIA Tesla GPU powered systems will be provided through National Knowledge Network (NKN) backbone.
- Datasets: Access to India specific datasets or sample data sets (on request).
- Training: Participants will be provided training on the latest HPC-AI tools including C-DAC Tools like TANGO:
- Mentorship: Mentors from C-DAC, Industry and Research Organization will guide the participants to help achieve optimal results during the course of Hackathon.
In Round-1, the selected Innovative Implementable Idea (I3) Award entry (irrespective of the number of members in the team) will be rewarded with Cash Award of Rs. 10,000 (Rs. Ten Thousand) each and a ‘Certificate of Appreciation’.
In Round-2, the Top 6 Innovative Implementable Idea (I3) Awards will be given away by C-DAC under NSM as described below:
- Outstanding Innovative Implementable Idea (One Award): Award will consist of a ‘Citation’ +
A Cash award of Rs. 2,00,000.00 (Rs. Two Lakhs only) + Free 500 Hours of CPU-GPU Computing Credits along with up to 200TB Storage on PARAM Series of Supercomputing facilities established under NSM and the 100 AI PF PARAM Siddhi-AI Supercomputer connected through NKN;
- Excellent Implementable Idea (Two Awards): Award will consist of a ‘Citation’ + A Cash award of Rs. 1,00,000.00 (Rs. One Lakhs only) + Free 300 Hours* of CPU-GPU Computing Credits along with up to 100TB Storage on PARAM Series of Supercomputing facilities established under NSM and the 100 AI PF PARAM Siddhi-AI Supercomputer connected through NKN;
- Promising Innovative Implementable Idea (Three Awards): Award will consist of a ‘Citation’ + A Cash award of Rs. 50,000.00 (Rs. Fifty Thousand only) + Free 200 Hours of CPU-GPU Computing Credits along with up to 50TB Storage on PARAM Series of Supercomputing facilities established under NSM and the 100 AI PF PARAM Siddhi-AI Supercomputer connected through NKN;
Award Winners Announcement: 31st May 2020 with awards to be given during the ‘C-DAC Tech Conclave 2020’ in a grand function.
Interested candidates can register for the hackathon by clicking here.
Round 1: 1st-11th May 2020
- Application registrations close date: 8th May 2020
- Shortlist of Applications for Round-2: 11th May 2020
- Computing Resources and Mentors allocation: 12th May 2020
- CPU-GPU Boot Camp: 12th May 2020
- Hackathon period: 12-25th May 2020
- Teams working with mentors: 12-25th May 2020
- Hackathon Presentations: Teams Demonstrate and Present final projects: 26-29th May 2020
Email ID: SAMHAR-COVID19Hackathon@cdac.in
For further details, click here.
You might also be interested in COVID-19 Shri Shakti Challenge by UN-Women & MyGov [Prizes Upto Rs. 22.5L]: Apply by Apr 30.