Applications are invited for the Rhodes Scholarships India Programme 2022 at University of Oxford, UK.
About the Scholarship
The Rhodes Scholarship programme is the oldest (established 1903) international scholarship programme in the world, and one of the most prestigious. Administered by the Rhodes Trust in Oxford, the programme offers 100 fully-funded Scholarships each year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom – one of the world’s leading universities.
Rhodes Scholarships are for young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future.
No. of Scholarships
Each year, there are five Scholarships available for India. The first Indian Rhodes Scholars took up residence in Oxford in 1947, and since that time over two hundred Indians have been awarded the Scholarship.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen of India, holding an Indian passport, or equivalent proof of citizenship; PIO or OCI cardholders do not satisfy the Indian citizenship criteria for this purpose.
- Education/Residency: You must have undertaken formal study at an educational institution in India for a minimum of 4 of the last 10 years, and have either (i) completed a school-leaving exam (10th or 12th standard or equivalent) at a school in India, or (ii) have received, or be in the final year of, an undergraduate degree at a university in India.
- Age: You must meet either of the below criteria:
- Upon 1 October 2021, you must be at least 18 and have not reached your 24th birthday (i.e. you must have been born after 1 October 1997 and on or before 1 October 2003).
- OR (for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual)
- Upon 1 October 2021, you must have not reached your 27th birthday (i.e. have been born after 1 October 1994 AND
- You have met or will meet the academic requirements for completing your first undergraduate degree on or after 1 October 2020
- Academic Achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by June / July 2022) your undergraduate degree with First Class, or equivalent. Successful candidates typically feature within the top few ranks of their graduating classes. Please note: only one of the five available Scholarships (and, in exceptional cases, two) may be awarded in aggregate to
- candidates who are pursuing, or have pursued, their undergraduate studies at a university located outside India and
- inter-jurisdictional Candidates.
- If unsuccessful in your first application to the Rhodes Scholarships, you may subsequently re-apply only once more (and this must be in the same constituency), subject to meeting the eligibility criteria.
- Selection for the Rhodes Scholarship is made without regard to financial means.
- Selection for the Rhodes Scholarship is made without regard to marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, gender, religion, sexual orientation, social background, disability, caste or other irrelevant distinction.
- The provision of such information in the ‘Outreach’ section of the application form is optional, but helps us to ensure that our selection processes are fair and that our outreach efforts are effective; those involved in selection will only see summary statistics of these responses in an anonymised format that cannot be tracked back to the individual.
- You are applying for a Rhodes Scholarship for entry to the University of Oxford in October 2022; the scholarship cannot be deferred.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is confirmed only upon successful admission to the University of Oxford.
- No selection will be made if a sufficiently qualified candidate cannot be found.
- The decision of the Selection Committee is final.
How to Apply?
- Interested applicants can apply for the scholarship through this link.
- If you are longlisted you will be invited to attend a preliminary interview, which may be held in person or via video conference.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a social engagement (a tea or dinner with the selection committee hosted by the Chairman) and a final interview.
- Interviews will be held in October or November 2021.
- No candidate will be selected without an interview. The granting of an interview is entirely within the discretion of the Selection Committee. A domestic travel allowance for candidates invited for the final interview will be paid by the Rhodes Trust. International travel will not be reimbursed.
- All applicants will be emailed with the outcome of their application.
August 2, 2021
Mr Nandan Kamath
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
More such opportunities that you might be interested in:
- ICAI – Doctoral Scholarship Scheme 2021 [Scholarship Amount Rs. 50k/Month, 5 Scholars]: Apply by June 15
- DAAD Scholarships Development Related Postgraduate Courses in Germany 2021-22: Apply by August 31