About the Scholarship:
The Rhodes Scholarship is administered by the Rhodes Trust, Oxford, United Kingdom. Scholarships are awarded in 20 Rhodes constituencies (64 different countries) around the world. Selection Committees for the Rhodes Scholarship are looking for outstanding leaders who are motivated to engage with global challenges, to ‘esteem the performance of public duties as their highest aim’, and to promote international understanding and peace.
In short, Selection Committees seek young women and men of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service, and who demonstrate a strong propensity to emerge as ‘leaders for the world’s future’.
Rhodes Selection Committees are looking for young persons of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service from 20 Rhodes constituencies (64 countries) worldwide.
The four criteria governing the selection of Rhodes Scholars are:
- literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theater, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- the moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
- Nationality/Citizenship: You must be a citizen of India, holding an Indian passport, or equivalent proof of citizenship; PIO or OCI card holders are not eligible.
- Education/Residency: You must have undertaken formal study at an educational institution in India for a minimum of 4 of the last 10 years, and have either (i) completed a school leaving exam (10th or 12th standard) at a school in India, or (ii) have received, or be in the final year of, an undergraduate degree at a university in India.
- Age: You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 25th birthday on 1 October 2018, which means you must have been born after 30 September 1993 and on or before 1 October 1999.
Please note: For medical students and medical doctors who are pursuing, or who have completed, their one-year internship (CRRI), the age limit is extended by one year; in these cases, you must have been born on 30 September 1992 and on or before 1 October 1999.
4. Academic achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by the summer of 2018) your undergraduate degree with First Class, or equivalent.
Please note: Only one of the five available Scholarships (and, in exceptional cases, two) may be awarded to candidates who are pursuing or have pursued, their undergraduate studies outside India.
- Candidates may apply online from 1 June 2017 at http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk via the scholarships tab.
- You must submit your application online, with all supporting documents, by 23:59, Indian Standard Time, 31 July 2017.
- In preparation for making their application, all candidates should read carefully the general information for candidates on the Rhodes website, the Conditions of Tenure for the Rhodes Scholarship, the information in this document and the graduate admissions pages of the University of Oxford: www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate.
- Longlisted candidates will be invited to attend a preliminary, personal interview at regional centres, which may include Bangalore and Delhi. Candidates not ordinarily resident in India may be interviewed preliminarily by video conference or telephone.
- Candidates selected from these preliminary interviews will be called for a final in-person interview, on a date in October or November 2017. You must be available to attend the final interview, in person, as no accommodations can be made on date and time of interview. No candidate will be selected without an interview.
- The granting of an interview is entirely within the discretion of the Selection Committee. Travel expenses (2nd class return rail fare) for candidates invited for the final interview will be paid by the Rhodes Trust. International travel will not be reimbursed.
- Candidates who do not receive further communication by the above date should assume that their application has not been successful.
For further details, please click here and visit the official website by clicking here.